Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 POLL: User Interface (Era of War)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Interface for Era of War
(No ending time set)
Input.KeyDown
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Commands
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Buttons
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Combo of Input.KeyDown and Buttons
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 14

BioHazardousWaste

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:53 pm   Post subject: POLL: User Interface (Era of War)

Hey all, I was just talking to Cervantes about this, because he doesn't like the way I was developing my user interface for commands such as build structure, research, train units etc...

I have 3 choices here, and I will (try to lol) quickly outline the pros and cons of each.

A) GETCH - User presses key.. e.g. B for build. R. for research.

PROS: nice and quick, one key.. saves time.
CONS: not very user friendly, esp. in research. ie. to Research a lvl 3 cannon upgrade you would need to put in a series of keys... R (research), W(weapon), C(cannon), (D)damage upgrade, 3(lvl 3 upgrade).

B) Commands - Type "Build" to build, "Research" to resarch etc.
PROS: Commands will be listed and user types what they see.
CONS: Takes a lot of typing, and time... also string much match exactly so user may become frustrated. e.g. trying to research something while under attack.

C) Buttons - Click the build button to build, click the research button to research.
PROS: Nice and user friendly, as well as quick and easy
CONS: An awful lot of pics.

Cast your vote now...
A) Getch
B) Commands
C) Buttons
D) Combo of getch and buttons

Tony says: use Input.KeyDown instead of getch
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

pssst: you can do this poll a much better way.

edit your first post and at the bottom of the screen where you write your message you can add a poll.

make the poll question then make the poll answers (you have to click add option for every new answer, including the last one.)

anyways, gogo buttons / getch! Smile
Delos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You could always create GUI buttons w/ char shortcuts.
But those would look screwy.
But you could use GUI.Set(Widget)BackgroundColour(?) to change its colour (not sure of the exact command).

Or just stick w/ Input.KeyDown.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

remember starcraft? well, use that kind of interface, basicly, a combination of Input.KeyDown and your own customized GUI.

Btw, is this game net-capable? is it PvsP, or is it just PvsComp, because if it's PvsComp, you can just pause the game for input.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

PvsComp would be hard.. programming all that AI.. nuts.

I thought it was going to be basically a campaign against really stupid AI that doesn't build anything but starts with lots of guys. Thinking
Maverick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I say you go with a combination. It wuld be sweet.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well for the sc ai, you could make it very simple, just let it play how u would play...
BioHazardousWaste

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yea... AI wouldn't be too hard I don't think, as I know what procedures to call and such. I would problably need some type of timer. As for on-line play.. that is my ultimate goal, but I don't have a clue as how to use the internet in Turing, this is only my second month using the language. After I have the game completed with an AI, I will attempt to work with online.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

net support is not the greatest thing in turing Confused Heck, the network connections are soo bad you'd have a better chance communicating via a PHP server Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey i am this close -> <- to geting turing to conect to msn and send mesages. i think the net comands are geting better since 4.X came out.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: