Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Turing help for beginner. Please
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jandes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:59 pm   Post subject: Turing help for beginner. Please

I have a grade 10 computer class and we're using Turing. I've done 6 questions and I don't know what to do on these 3 questions questions.

1) Calculating the cost of a pizza:

Each pizza has the following fixed costs:
Labor cost: 0.75
Rent cost: 1 per pizza
Then you need to add the cost of the material used as follows:
Material: 0.05*diameter*diameter (in inches)
User enters the size of the pizza in inches and total cost is calculated by computer.

2)The user enters a two-digit number, computer shows each digit separately.
Example: user enters 23
Computer shows:
First digit is: 2
Second digit is: 3

Thank you in advance.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing help for beginner. Please

There should have been a template for you to show us your attempt, and describe exactly what the problem is.
Quote:

I don't know what to do.

is not even a question.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jandes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Turing help for beginner. Please

Tony wrote:

There should have been a template for you to show us your attempt, and describe exactly what the problem is.
Quote:

I don't know what to do.

is not even a question.

I posted my questions. I don't know what to do is implying that I have no idea how to do the questions. I can't show my attempts because we were doing it in class and of course you might know that all works are saved in my school's computer and I can't access them unless I'm in school.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:02 pm   Post subject: Re: Turing help for beginner. Please

You must have some idea... after all, you've already
jandes @ Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:59 pm wrote:
I've done 6 questions

And for the remainder of the questions, you know at least how to add, right? Labor + rent is
code:

0.75 + 1

All that's left is to add in the cost of materials.

The questions typically describe exactly what needs to be done
Quote:

step 1 - user enters 2 digit number (e.g. 23)
step 2 - Computer shows (to start, anything at all!)
step 3 - First digit (e.g. 2)
step 4 - Second digit (e.g. 3)

You can get through steps 1 and 2 with get and put, and once again you are half way through the problem. You also know exactly what to do next, and can ask specifically about that.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jandes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:34 pm   Post subject: Re: Turing help for beginner. Please

Thanks. I think I can do the first question.
I still don't get how the turing will separate the 2 digits.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing help for beginner. Please

Hint for that question -- division and remainder. It's just pure math.
jandes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:02 pm   Post subject: Re: Turing help for beginner. Please

alright..thanks
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: