Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ottawa AppJam. Anyone else entering?
Index -> Contests
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
trishume

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:18 pm   Post subject: Ottawa AppJam. Anyone else entering?

Is anyone else who lives in Ottawa entering the AppJam contest for app design? Or am I the only one on this forum?
It's a contest for Android and IOS apps with multiple $1000 prizes and summer job opportunities.

If you live in Ottawa and are interested, you can find some more information here: https://sites.google.com/site/appjam2012/home
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jasonzhang86

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:07 pm   Post subject: Re: Ottawa AppJam. Anyone else entering?

Why there is no "App Submission Form" ?
trishume

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:02 pm   Post subject: Re: Ottawa AppJam. Anyone else entering?

It's gonna be available in a little while. The deadline is in may so it is just not ready yet.

Are you planning on competing?
jasonzhang86

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 am   Post subject: Re: Ottawa AppJam. Anyone else entering?

No, I will not compete but I know other 2 students will - one is for a iphone project, another for a Android project.

The website say "The Submission Form for your app will be ready in mid-April...on it", unfortunately today is April 23rd, but it is still show the same message.

Read all the pages in this website, there is no contact information, even not mention who sponsor/organise this event, this is strange ...
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 am   Post subject: RE:Ottawa AppJam. Anyone else entering?

Not in highschool, but that webpage makes me suspicious of the qaulity and integrity of the contest.

How does the copyright and rights to the app work in a contest like this? The chance to win $1000 would be a crapy deal if it prevents you from selling your app (or gives some one else the rights to).

Also odd that the site says "Final judging for prizes is May 29 2012 at the Ottawa Convention Centre". Some googling shows that on the 29th the Ottawa Convention is hosting "The Ottawa Game Conference". Note that the rules say "You must be present to win", does this mean all contestents will have to pay the $250 ticket price to see if they won or will the AppJam event be separate?

Not saying this is a scam, but it does seem very strange given the odd website and lack of information.

Edit: Also whats with the job part in "Create a cool, original app and you could win $1000 AND get a summer job!"? With who? Doing what? How much will you be paid?

Edit 2: On one of the pages there is the logo for the company Makilaro. Makilaro is apparently an applications development and marketing for social media and mobile platforms, however there is very litte information about them out there. Seems rather shady....
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
aly

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:20 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ottawa AppJam. Anyone else entering?

Dan @ Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 am wrote:
Not in highschool, but that webpage makes me suspicious of the qaulity and integrity of the contest.

How does the copyright and rights to the app work in a contest like this? The chance to win $1000 would be a crapy deal if it prevents you from selling your app (or gives some one else the rights to).

Also odd that the site says "Final judging for prizes is May 29 2012 at the Ottawa Convention Centre". Some googling shows that on the 29th the Ottawa Convention is hosting "The Ottawa Game Conference". Note that the rules say "You must be present to win", does this mean all contestents will have to pay the $250 ticket price to see if they won or will the AppJam event be separate?

Not saying this is a scam, but it does seem very strange given the odd website and lack of information.

Edit: Also whats with the job part in "Create a cool, original app and you could win $1000 AND get a summer job!"? With who? Doing what? How much will you be paid?

Edit 2: On one of the pages there is the logo for the company Makilaro. Makilaro is apparently an applications development and marketing for social media and mobile platforms, however there is very litte information about them out there. Seems rather shady....

You should check out this site: http://www.techu.me/students/

It answers most of your questions and concerns about its integrity.
trishume

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:27 pm   Post subject: Re: Ottawa AppJam. Anyone else entering?

I don't really care about the quality of the summer jobs because I am going to Shad Valley this summer anyway.
Some of the companies look cool though and if they do the contest again next year I will probably take the job if I win.

I'm mainly entering for the $1000 prize. Unfortunately the techu.me website says the prize is a scholarship and not cash.
Which I don't mind terribly unless the scholarship is specific to some university I'm unlikely to go to.

What kind of apps have other people made? What schools do you go to?

I go to Bell High School and this is my app: http://tristan.hume.ca/ix/
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: