Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Need some advice on a web design
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Aziz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:39 pm   Post subject: Need some advice on a web design

I'm working on a website for a client. And I can't seem to come up with a decent navigation menu. Take a look at the two exampels, http://aaziz.org/perry1/ and http://aaziz.org/perry2/

#1 seems to bland, and #2 doesn't stick out enough and looks kind of cartoonish. I don't know, I can't find a good font or colour to fit it. Any suggestions would be welcome. (BTW, ignore Mr. Buff, that's just a place filler)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
syntax_error

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:25 pm   Post subject: RE:Need some advice on a web design

Out of the 2, I personally think the first one looks the best, and your banner seems a bit plain and idk, nothing eye-catchy; maybe its the font as you put it.

Other then that I like the of the first one more, smaller text boxs look nicer to idk why, along with the quotes on the side, thats a nice touch
Aziz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Need some advice on a web design

Again, the only difference between the two would be the menu bar, NOT the content. I'm just to lazy to edit the second layout for the grey bar.
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Need some advice on a web design

I would say the first one
md

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:42 am   Post subject: RE:Need some advice on a web design

Using images of text is bad; don't do it.

Also, it might look better if the text was all the same size...
DtY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:25 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Need some advice on a web design

md @ Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:42 am wrote:

It's fine as long as you set alt text.
And I think the first is better.
md

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:06 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Need some advice on a web design

DtY @ 2009-07-11, 11:25 am wrote:

It's fine as long as you set alt text.
And I think the first is better.

No, it's not fine. If you use an image then people who adjust the font size to make it larger so they can see (aka seniors) won't be able to adjust the size, or people who have trouble with contrast and who use their own colors so they can see won't be able to override your image, etc. There are so many cases where using an image of text instead of text breaks things that it's really not possible to list them all.
Zren

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:19 am   Post subject: Re: Need some advice on a web design

@image navigations:
It also loads faster, and makes BG Image rollovers easier.

Personally, I'd make the "Quote box" have a fancy Quote symbol like in this design. It makes it more noticeable that its a quote.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Aziz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:25 am   Post subject: Re: Need some advice on a web design

Zren @ Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:19 am wrote:
@image navigations:
It also loads faster, and makes BG Image rollovers easier.

Personally, I'd make the "Quote box" have a fancy Quote symbol like in this design. It makes it more noticeable that its a quote.

Quote image IS supposed to be there, must've forgotten to upload it along with the rest of the stuff (check the css, it's there, I swear!)

It's supposed to be a flashy website. I like the idea of text, but sizing problems between browsers make that more difficult. Not to mention if I can't get the effect that looks good with text, I might go with images anyways. Increasing font size is not an issue. Modern browsers zoom images and layouts as well, and using em's for sizing the buttons would solve that issue anyways.

It also depends a lot on what my client likes. I'm not too worried using images and CSS-rollovers if it looks a lot better and makes the client happy. The appearance is a big part of the website. Besides, it's real life, and theory and "proper techniques" don't always have a place in business where my next months rent is defendant on the client liking the design. And let's not get into browser cross-compatibility. :S

Thanks for the feedback, though, guys. It really does help Very Happy
gianni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:23 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Need some advice on a web design

If you use a background image AND text you should be fine (i.e. image replacement via Phark, SIFR, etc..). All modern browsers scale images (both inline and css) proportionally with text. Alternatively, there has been major headway made towards embedding fonts in websites.

I do agree with md; your first priority should be making the navigation text all the same size.

A couple additional suggestions:
Your line-heights seem a bit out of rhythm, I would recommend using a type calculation tool such as Typetester.
Also I would left-justify your paragraphs, it's easier on the eyes.

Looking good otherwise Smile
Aziz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Need some advice on a web design

The problem with same-size font is the fact that a minor link is going to take up a much wider area.
Aziz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:18 pm   Post subject: RE:Need some advice on a web design

Also looking for ideas for a logo. Needs to go on a hat, shirt, signs w/e (if someone actually comes up with a good concept and is willing to do it, there is possibility for pay)
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: