Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Factorial Calculator
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
josh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:24 pm   Post subject: Factorial Calculator

I have to make a program that accepts a number between 1 and 30 from the user and then calcualte the factorial of the number. The code I have so far when I input the number 4 it says the factorial is 0 when it should be 24.

here is my code:

code:

%----------------------------------------------------------------------------
%Factorial Calculator
%By: Josh Rosen
%Date: October 3, 2004.
%Version: 1.0.0
%
%Input: A number between 1 and 30
%Output: The factorial of the inputted number
%Process: Use a loop to continue. Use a for loop within the continuous loop to calculate.
%----------------------------------------------------------------------------

%Declare Variables
var fact : int          %The factorial of the inputed number
var num : int           %The number to calculate the factorial for
var cont : string       %Holds the users answer to continue or not

%Continuous loop
loop
    cls
    put "What number would youy like to calculate the factorial of? (number must be between 1 and 30)"
    get num
    fact := num
    for decreasing i : num .. 1
        fact:= i*(i-1)
    end for
    put "The factorial of ", num, " is ", fact
    put ""
    put "Do you wish to continue? Y/N"
    get cont

exit when cont = "N" or cont = "n"
end loop

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. I know it has something to do with my equation inside of the for loop.

thanx
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

code:

for decreasing i : num .. 1
        fact:= i*(i-1)

i decreases down to 1, at which point it is
code:

fact := 1 * (1 - 1)

1 * 0 is clearly 0 Wink
what you want is
code:

fact := 1
for i : 1 .. num
        fact:= fact * i
end for
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
josh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanx for the help.

I should have realized that. Embarassed
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The recursive solution is simpler by far. Smile

code:
function factorial(n : int) : int
   if n = 1 then
      result 1
   else
      result n * factorial(n - 1)
   end if
end factorial
josh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I am in grade 10 compsci adn we havent learnt functions yet. I know about them from Java but my teach wanted us to use loops within loops.
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

just a question rysticlight, you learned java before Turing!? why??

i started turing in gr 10 programming then java in gr 11 ... i found that the ppl that didnt have the background in turing didint do as well, is/was this the case in your class?
josh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I took a two week course over the summer where you learn game programming in Java, made my own asteroids game which I am tryign to figure out how to compile so I can post here. I use eclipse.

there are difingntly alot of ppl in my class who should not be here but since we are learning turing I thik they will be O.k. My school does turing in grade 10, VB in grade 11, and Java in grade 12
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

WOW ... thats a kinda back asswards approach, although VB is Very object oriented and has some similarities to java (note some meaning none) however, have they ever considered C++ in 12 and JAVA in 11 and turing in 10 ... (and Flash, javascript and html in Gr 12-web developing)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

vb is not object oriented... atleast not in the sence its taught Confused

and the bottom line is that schools teach whatever the teacher wants.. or rather whatever your teacher might have a remote knowledge of Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
josh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no I don't think my school would ever consider C++ right now (even though they have Visual C++ Question ) but I think this is the first year they did Java in grade 12.

and tony my skool hgas no web developing course that I know of (they do a bit of flash in comtech)
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, i guess that just shows how noobish i can be ... i must have confused "click and drag" with object oriented... i guess. Question and visual C++ is the same as regular C++ except that it has different classes or it uses microsoft crap... ill stop talking now on grounds i dont know what im talking about Confused

tony wrote:
and the bottom line is that schools teach whatever the teacher wants.. or rather whatever your teacher might have a remote knowledge of

good point too tony, i was merely stating what was toght at my school, and wondering about methods at different schools, that is all Smile
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For what it's worth, VB.NET is very object-oriented. That doesn't make it good, but it's more important to know why a language sucks than just that it does.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: