Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A Turing Contest
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:33 pm   Post subject: A Turing Contest

So, one of the other posters here on Compsci had a good idea to run a Turing contest. I think it'd be a great idea, so I'll host it.

The idea is to make something in Turing, anything you want. Most people will probably submit some type of game, but feel free to submit anything that can be judged under these terms:

Your game looks: % If you submit a library this will be functionality
Okay - 1
Good - 2
Excellent - 3
*DROOL* - 4

Your controls are: % If you submit a library this will be syntax
Crappy - 1
Average - 2
Simple but effective - 3
Complex and effective - 4

Gameplay: % If you submit a library this will be the correctness of the output
Ran it, looked at it, closed it - 2
Played it for a few minutes - 3
Played it for a while, I'll come back to this when I've got more time - 4
Still playing this. - 5

Complexity:
I'm sure I've seen this before - 1
Kinda complicated, but by no means unique - 2
Some unique concepts - 3
I've never seen anything like this - 5

Uncommented, and messy - 1
Commented, messy - 2
Clean but uncommented - 3
Clean and well commented - 4
**Uncommented and poorly commented are the same thing

There is no reward, just the benefit of saying you won. But who doesn't love some good fun? I'd personally love to see some of the things compsci users could come up with in a month.

Yup! You heard me right, you have (about) a month. We will stop taking submissions on the last day of June!

If you'd like to participate then... submit something to this post. Or if you're scared somebody will nab it, send it to me or Mirhagk in PM or show us a .exe (.exe can't be craded for code though. That's no fun.)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amarylis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

Can I just say I want to submit the stuff I showed you earlier? xD
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:46 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

That will be fine. Mir and I wont be checking anything before the due date, so you can improve it or do whatever you'd like aswell.

I'll also be participating (I wont be judging my own, of course), and i'm sure we will have others participating too once they read this.
varman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:36 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

Okay, you should give me credit for coming up with the idea first of all. Secondly, why not just compete in my competition first?
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:16 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

Actually, credit was given where credit was deserved. You know who you are, do you really need more than that? You are surely not the first person in the world to come up with the calculation that we should have a contest.

But, why don't we compete in yours? Simple, read your thread. There are like 10 replies saying why it's undesirable. Mainly because of the speculation of you cheating. That, and this way there is more than one judge, and a clear set of guidelines. As opposed to "send me your hard work and i'll tell you if I like it more than the next guys"
varman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:22 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

The thing is that I am actually giving a PRIZE ($60 cell phone case) to anyone who participates. So as long as the program works, the person will get a case of their choice, no matter how much better it is than another persons. EVERYONE WHO SUBMITS A WORKING PROGRAM WILL GET A CASE!
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:37 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

Yeah, but Aange is more reputable, so I'm more inclined to trust him. I'm sorry, but your whole situation looks sketchy.

I will certainly join. I've actually been working on my old game, totally changing the code itself. I've had many good remarks from it. And it's been over a year, and I still have fun with it Razz

Here's the really onld version for kicks: http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=27909
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:53 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

Sweet, I think i might do some kind of a TD with Anthony. He's always dying to make one.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:56 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

@varman is there any particular reason you're promising cases to potentially all of compsci? There's at least 20 of us who could submit a working program by the end of this week (other's don't go on enough to see it, but could do it if they happened to see it). You're really willing to give out $1200 in cases?
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:06 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

@Aange10 good choice, it's much easier and still has great utility. Unless you do pathfinding in an open field. I have no idea how that works :S

On a sidenote, does anyone else have a new appreciation for flash games now? I go to something like kongregate and when I look at games rated 1.5/5 and try them, I can't help but think "Wow, there was a lot of effort put into this" and then I go look at the game for all of the things that I think are awesome that I can't do.

And then read the comments at the bottom. Non programmers are so ignorant.
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:09 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

Well, it is considerably easier to program little games in flash because of how easy it is to do the grapihcs.

It kind of like all animates itself, you just call procedures built in. The backbone for games is in the language, so you really don't have to do the framework yourself.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:14 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

Really? I hadnt really looked into it. Still, I dont think some things are included, like desktop defence's pathfinding stuff. I still dont get it.

Maybe I'm just a bad programmer Razz
jr5000pwp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:56 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

So if I take my project from before, cleaned it up, and added a new feature could I enter it? If so that may be some incentive to make my source code legible enough to finally release it (The source that is, the game is already on here)
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:08 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

That would work.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:11 pm   Post subject: RE:A Turing Contest

Thats basically what I'm doing
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: