Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Shoutout box
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Lanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:08 pm   Post subject: Shoutout box

i am somewhat new to html, trying to get a webpage going actually, i was wondering what would be a good code for a shoutout box or something similiar

thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Shoutout box

HTML only describes a document. Things like "this is a block of text" or "this is a link".

If you want someone to actually post to a shoutbox, you will need to have a submit form and something on the server-side to process the said request.

Ruby, PHP, Java... whatever you are running on your server. Though assuming you don't want to be bothered with building anything yourself, I'm pretty sure that there are 3rd party, hosted, options that will require you to simply embed some JavaScript into you page (and that will take care of the rest).
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Lanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:31 pm   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

okay thank you for the quick reply i will look around google for some java script i can use
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:46 am   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

if you're planning on using a shout box JavaScript is not the correct option. JavaScript is low level client side scripting, that really can't help you much other than form validation.]

Give me some info on the server you are using... find out if PHP is insalled, or even CGI support.

EDIT: Tony's referring to a "Form Handler" btw
Aziz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:52 am   Post subject: RE:Shoutout box

Yes, there's free scripts out there that you can sign up for a guestbook/shoutbox/whatever, stick some javascript on your page, and it works. I'm assuming he doesn't have a host with scripting.
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:57 am   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

Yeah you're right Aziz... I just REALLY hate those 3rd party programs because there's so little customization you can do. But hey if you don't care having a little ad from them on your site go for that option.

Tag Board[/url]
Aziz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:32 am   Post subject: RE:Shoutout box

I don't think he came here to learn to program =/. Why don't you make one, add an ad for you, and then give it to him? Profitssss
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:37 am   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

that could work... if he wants that i suppose i could help with that... im awfully lazy right now tho lol
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Lanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:48 pm   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

i wouldn't mind learning php or whatever i would need to do it. for now im trying this tut http://www.trap17.com/forums/Shoutbox-Made-Easy-t8292.html

i keep getting this error though

Quote:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'me_me'@'XXX.XXX.XX.XXX' (using password: YES) in /www/vndv.com/m/a/s/XXXX/htdocs/kshoutbox.php on line 99

Warning: mysql_close(): no MySQL-Link resource supplied in /www/vndv.com/m/a/s/XXXX/htdocs/kshoutbox.php on line 259
There was an error!
Unable to connect to MySQL!

i am using zymic's free webhosting which has mysql, php, and phpmyadmin

[/quote]
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:07 am   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

K so you know that to connect you need to specify the "localhost" on the correct port right?

$connect = mysql_connect("localhost:port","username","password");

Also what might be happening is you haven't actually set a username with a password for your MySQL database yet.
Try logging on to your admin panel and see if there's any options for creating a MySQL database using a wizard or something.. that way you can physically see what you are making, then you will be able to set a username and password.

You could use that script but here's a simpler suggestion.
http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_mysql_intro.asp
Make your own script using the tutorials from that site. It will teach you everything you need to know.

index.html
- contains the form asking for name, email, comments, whatever
- This form should submit to the iframe
- contains an iframe linking to shoutbox.php

shoutbox.php
- should contain an if statement at the top checking if there is any input being sent.
- if there is it adds it in the database, REMEMBER TO USE PRIMARY KEY
- Once it gets thru that process it will echo the results onto the page. Use a loop.
Lanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:53 am   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

im going to take a stab at making my own, i have verified that yes i did create a database with a user and set the privileges, but what do i put as the localhost:port Question is it just my website?
thanks
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:13 am   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

wellll you might not need a port so just put "localhost" << that exact word not an address. If it doesn't work then you might need to specify a port... usually the port will show up in the address bar when u login ur admin section if it doesnt then you probably dont need to put one in the php
Lanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:06 pm   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

thank you *adds karma point* is it okay if i pm you with any other questions?
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:45 pm   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

sure thing hit me up ill help u out
smithsan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:38 am   Post subject: Re: Shoutout box

planning on using a shout box JavaScript is not the correct option. JavaScript is low level client side scripting, that really can't help you much other than form validation
-----------
smithsan
*censored*

Mod Edit: Seems like a bot, copy what's already been said to make a valid-looking post, and post a 'hidden' link.
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: