Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Packaging the Game
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
azndragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:32 pm   Post subject: Packaging the Game

I downloaded the QTFB game, and it looks really good. One thing that I noticed, is that the file comes in a standard setup file. I was wondering how this can be done, and if that's not possible, how to setup the files so that they can be extracted easily, without having Turing spend so much time looking for the required files, like for example, other .t files, or music.

For example, in my game, the files are linked to each other as follows:

code:
include "C:/RPG/part1/room1.t"

Now, as you can see, if they don't have the files in the exact file structure that I have set up for myself, Turing cannot locate the file. I'm thinking of having the include statements similar to:

code:
include "[something like a wildcard folder]/part1/room1.t"

so that no matter where the root directory of my game is, it will look in the part 1 folder instead of starting from the C drive, and searching from there.

ex. If the game is in C:/RPG then it will search through C:/RPG/part1/room1.t

using the same command, if the game is in C:/Program Files/RPG then it will seach C:/Program Files/RPG/part1/room1.t

I'm not really sure what exactly the code is supposed to be though.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Sie_Kensou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:00 pm   Post subject: Include

Hmm... I am not sure what you are asking, but as long as the file is in the current folder, it should include it.

for example, let's say you have the program "include.t" which is located at "C:\Programming\Turing\" and has the following line:

include "test.t"

this will include the file "C:\Programming\Turing\test.t"

But let's say the "include.t" file is located at: "C:\Programming\Turing\Testing\" but test.t is located on directory up. Then you would have to write:

include "..\test.t"

In other words, simply put "..\" for each directory up you want to go... similarly you can do the same with subdirectories in the folder. (i.e. include "testing\test.t"

I hope that was what you were asking
azndragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay thanks, that answers my second question. Now I just need to know how to make that setup file Very Happy
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you'd have to ask Dan for more info, but setup file is just a self-extracting zip file that requires separate program to make. Such as WinZip for zip files. Try searching for such a program or for "self extracting zip"
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
azndragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay, I got that to work. I'm using Winzip, and it extracts correctly, except that the file folders and their contents don't extract, leaving just the files in the main directory. How do I fix this?
azndragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay, never mind, it works! Very Happy
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: