Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Dwite II
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
sport

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:35 pm   Post subject: Dwite II

Who knows what is so special about DWITE II and how is it different from DWITE?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zylum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

read the document on the dwite website... all that's different is that there are more test cases (10) you get unlimitted submissions and the problems are harder.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

check out http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=6328&start=60 for an example of problems richard peng made... he claimed that I wont know how to do the last question. I havent actually tried, but i thought I'd share it with you guys
sport

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:33 pm   Post subject: DWITE II

Apparently there is no time bonus and no 10 point bonus if the first submission is perfect.
thegoose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

so, who is going to do it? it's next tuesday. I can guarantee that some of the problems WILL be solvable using only grade 11 CS knowledge.
sport

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:11 pm   Post subject: DWITE II

It is not that easy, they say if a program needs a sort the simple way will not be enough, the most efficient method must be used. I think that it will be easy to get the first few sets right, but not enough time to finish every set if the program is not efficient and the time limit is no longer 2.5 seconds, but only 1.5 seconds.
thegoose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, i was the one who wrote that....basically, the idea is to separate the scores by program efficiency rather than time bonus, which is more similar to the other contests (aka. CCC)
As of the time limit, it is still not final. But it shouldn't be that important if your code has the right big-O factor. All the judge's solutions ran for like half a second on my computer.
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Still the last judging program, my turing programs ran fine, but some said cannot excecute... and other ones didn't work. While it worked perfectly here. The judge doesn't use 3.11 does it? Laughing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
thegoose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm not sure. Chances are that it uses whatever command-line compiler there is out there. (that's the standard technique for automatic judging)
However, it's not a good idea to use Turing on this contest since Turing runs about 10 to 20 times slower than Pascal and C/C++. This might cause major problems such as programs timing out. Actually, I'm not even sure if a Java solution would run in time (it runs around 5 times slower).
In the future, we might add some coefficients to the run time so Turing and Java users won't have a disadvantage.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

man.. i would write it too.. except i have to give blood that day Crying or Very sad
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thegoose wrote:
I'm not sure. Chances are that it uses whatever command-line compiler there is out there. (that's the standard technique for automatic judging)
However, it's not a good idea to use Turing on this contest since Turing runs about 10 to 20 times slower than Pascal and C/C++. This might cause major problems such as programs timing out. Actually, I'm not even sure if a Java solution would run in time (it runs around 5 times slower).
In the future, we might add some coefficients to the run time so Turing and Java users won't have a disadvantage.

they are not stupid.. the judge relitively.. they are obviously going to look at % increase in speed rather than simply speed.
thegoose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay...you probably know more about that than me.
But don't say I didn't warn you guys about the disadvantages of using other languages after the contest.
zylum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

damn... i was going to register today but my teacher wasnt here.... i wonder if i would be able to register tomorrow morning?
sport

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:31 pm   Post subject: DWITE II

Man you are so wierd
Quote:
But don't say I didn't warn you guys about the disadvantages of using other languages after the contest.

Like I have a choice which language I am going to use.My teacher tells what to write in and there is no other way.
thegoose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well....in that case, tell your teacher he/she has a very narrow mind.
It's not like learning another language takes much effort (a week or so if you really want to). Plus, you can download all kinds of free compilers on the internet. (aka. FP, CPP,C++)

I'll E-mail Mr. Sentjens to tell him about possible registers tommarow morning.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: