Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Risk Game (2210 version)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:46 pm   Post subject: Risk Game (2210 version)

I own a board game called Risk 2210 A.D., and I thought it would be neat to program a computer version of it with lan capabilities, and so on. Look here if you want to get an idea of how the game is different from classic risk. http://boardgames.about.com/library/weekly/aa071701a.htm

Ill outline my plan on how I plan to proceed with this project, and hopefully people can contribute their suggestions so that the game will be better at completion.

1. Use scans and photos of each card and piece associated with the game, with multiple images of each army piece to add a little variety

2. scan the world map, and incorporate it into the game. However it is much too large even for my 19inch monitor in high res, so there will be a simplified world view where players can click on one continent. That continent would then appear in a larger, more detailed view, along with territories in other continents which can be attacked from the continent in question

3. A battle view screen where the two armies would be shown facing each other, standing on a certain field depending on which terretories are involved. For example, each continent has a colour associated with it, and for the moon and water there would be real images of the ocean and the lunar surface. There would be two buttons in the top middle which would be : fight, and one attack would occur. The second button would be labeled "fight to the death" or something to that effect, and it would make the two territories fight at a faster pace until the attacker is too weak or the defender is defeated. There will be images of the dice in the top left corner of the screen to show the results of the dice roll. See example for a rough idea.

4. attack effects including lasers, missiles, rockets and such.

5. effects for when command cards are played, such as a bomb falling on a territory. (check the link for info about the cards..)

6. gameplay for 2-5 players, with AI to follow mabye.

7. sound effects, and an option for people to type in a file name and play it for in game music.

risk.JPG
 Description:
battle screen example
 Filesize:  23.7 KB
 Viewed:  4627 Time(s)

risk.JPG

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well your battle screen looks a bit different than what I remember the game looking like last time I played it. Confused (It is an awesome game though.)

And you plan on making this game in turing? With lan capabilities? Not sure if turing is the best language for a multiplayer game that size. Although I suppose it's possible.

Interesting project!
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I was thinking about the limitations of turing, but that is the extent of my knowledge at this time. I'm considering waiting until we get into VB in compsci next year..
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya, it's just that Turing's net commands, among other things, are pretty limited, and although it's possible, I don't know how efficient it would be.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lol, limited is the wrong term, SLOW is the correct term. I think it would be a good idea, and instead of LAN, make it multiplayer Very Happy . Check the tutorial in "Turing Tutorials" called *[tutorial] .NET commands and multi-user interfaces*
Just instead of sending text messages, send locations on the map of units, etc. (Explained at the end with assembling and dissassembling strings to gain information faster than sending multiple strings on .NET)
Good luck.
Genesis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Haha, alrite, maybe slow is a better term. And indeed it is quite slow.

Quote:
Just instead of sending text messages, send locations on the map of units, etc. (Explained at the end with assembling and dissassembling strings to gain information faster than sending multiple strings on .NET

I made a multiplayer Monopoly game in Turing in gr. 11 compsci that worked something like that. It turned out pretty good actually.

And ya, good luck! Smile
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Anyone ever played "Advance Wars 2"? Possibly the best GBA game ever made. Maybe u could get something from that. ur battle screen reminded me of it.
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've played the first advance wars, and it does seem kind of similar now that you mention it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i must say... uve got a bigie on ur hands..

for some other examples... a few others have made risk.. and one was gona do online... maybe u can contact them...

just search risk in turing section @ compsci to find the various ones..

i found turings net commands work very welll for single chars.... . but for sending strings.. i was unable to get it to work....
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: