Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Hello - Need Help Deciding On What Game
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
sofa_king

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:41 pm   Post subject: Hello - Need Help Deciding On What Game

hello fellow turing students and turing helpers, this is my first post.

well for my final culminating activity in my school (danforth collegiate and technical institute) we are supposed to make a game. The problem is that I dont know what type of game i want to do Mad Ive already checked with the suggestions in the sticky and this is what ive narrowed it down to:

- Who Wants to be a Millionaire game (this should be pretty easy to create according my level)

- Puyo Pop (or Kirbys avalanche/Dr.Robotnicks Mean Bean Machine) Very Happy if you havent played this fun puzzle game then go slap yourself with a trout. Those of you who are unfamiliar with puyo pop, its a game sort of like tetris connecting four thingamajig.

-Text-based RPG (possibly Radical Dreamers remake) Confused i cant even imagine how many lines and if statements this would take. I

-A fighing game- I doubt i have the skills to do this but it would be pretty kickass to make one.

-Pong

Well thats all i have right now. I just started learning programming this year and i guess you can call me a n00b. I would love to do a puyo pop or fighting game but i think its way too advanced for me.

Well any help is appreciated, feel free to add any toehr game suggestions. *looks up at what i typed* ahem sorry for the essay.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well you dont have much time to do this if your school ends the same time mine dose, so u can not do anything to majoire.

i whould not do the millionare one b/c it is to easy in my option.

i have no idea what puyo pop is so i whould not know about that

text base rpgs can be good when done right but to make it realy good takes time. it dose not have to take 1000s of line if wirten well, alougth there may be files with tones of text in them for the poleop talking and what not.

A fighing game whould be very impersive but i whould not recomend it with litte time and if you do not have a good idea on how you could do this you may uses up alot of time on methods that do not wrok.

Pong is allways fun, and can be modfied to be more compliacted as you work on it. It is not the hardested thing to make but it is good for the grade 10 level of compsci and may be 11 if u mod it enogth.

there is a good topic about game ideas in this fourm, you should take a look at it
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
LiquidDragon

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In my opinion i think pong would be your best bet. It's not that hard and everyone loves to play it. Especially if your teacher is old school Laughing
PhOeNiX-47

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Teacher doesn't like games -_-. Puyo Pop is a Tetris rip-off Smile
sofa_king

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanx for the help guys Surprised .
well I think I'll either do pong or millionaire if i dont feel like doing pong> The problem i find is that pong has already been done, i want to try something new and noone has tried millionaire yet.
LiquidDragon

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The weird thing is. Almost everyone in my class wants to do millionaire. Just because its so damn easy. It is just a bunch of if statements. In my opinion an ok version of pong is much better than an excellent version of millionaire. Unless u got regis to cameo in your game.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

go for pong, but then make it funky with all sorts of killer moves like curveballs and fastballs and powerups that float across the screen: when the ball hits a powerup the player that last hits the ball gets that powerup, or it could be a powerup that affects the ball, not the player, like makes the ball replicate so there are 2 balls, or make the ball shoot off in a random direction, etc.
also add a handicap feature to this so your teacher can have a handicap, because when you make your own game, you are automatically really good at is cuz you have to test it so much Smile
@DRI@N

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hey Imitaz..you shouldn't do who wants to be a millionare its to easy. DO fighting ill help u..we're in the same class
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
sofa_king

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hello adrian Smile

well i already told my teacher i was gonna do millionaire >.< . I think the at curveball and fastball thing would be really nice thing to do.

Also i had this idea the other day of making Super-pong. yes the title sounds lame but hear me out. the gameplay is just like normal pong except there two other people on the bottom and top edges!! you know, like that minigame in crash bash. it would be pretty fun to play against 3 of your friends

maybe i can ask my teacher if i can switch my prog to pong since i barely started the millionaire.
Frank

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:26 pm   Post subject: You should do...

You should really do minesweeper. aside from the numbers beside the bomb the rest is easy.

PS: (DO NOT IMPORT THE GUI MENU BAR!!!) it's so freaking hard to get your program to work in and around it. Although my teacher was much more impressed when I metioned i was gonna do it. (for difficulties and screen sizes.)
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: