Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Using Net. function for more than Turing Chat
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Danyo

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:00 pm   Post subject: Using Net. function for more than Turing Chat

I was exploring ways of making my game Network Playable
http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=5087
(a Real-time Scorched Earth)

i've tried using other people's Turing Chat programs, and they worked, if i connected to myself and had 2 windows open on the same computer...

Using that idea, i would've used the Net. to send information of moves and shots... BUT, i was never able to use Net. to actually connect to a different computer.
Can someone help me with that?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delta

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Have you searched for any tutorials?
Usually thats a good spot to check if your not sure what to do.
Danyo

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nothing in the tutorials about this topic..
Tony

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i don't think that turing's Net. is fast enough for any real time game Confused though I haven't used it for a long while so I can't be sure
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

It could be the firewall at your school. I've done a version of Network connect 4 as an example for the students. It works without any problems at my school. I think a lot of people are turned off by Turing's Net support because they run the chat example and it looks like a mess. Well, the mess is bugs in the example code, not the Net module.
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I also did a network version of connect 4 and it works without too much lag, even on our sucky computers in the career center.
Danyo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

SuperGenius wrote:
I also did a network version of connect 4 and it works without too much lag, even on our sucky computers in the career center.

Heh that wouldn't prove much...
if it was laggy on a fast computer, then that would mean something.

The thing is, Net. function doesn't even work on the network i have at home
... so is there a way to have the Net. function to work over the internet?
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

apparently turing can only make connections using machine's local addresses, so computers that arent networked can't connect to each other
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Flashkicks

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Heres where I wish I knew Java better..lol.. Yeah; the chat proggy that Holtsoft gives you does look pretty ugly- but with the assistance of GUI Commands and whatnot; you can make one look pretty sporty. Iv seen some of Delta's and they look fantastic. Wink One thing you could try is maybe sending images over the network; Or has this been done already and i just dont know about it?? Confused Maybe convert the images/files into text filse; and then send the text and so on and so forth. i dunno- just ideas.. Long live Turing!
Selfi

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ive experimented a bit with the turing Net function, but as far as i can tell it really can only be used for basic things like chat, raw connections, etc. I tried to make a server out of ( as to allow more than just one connection at a time) and turing wouldnt have it, sooo it crashed. same when i tried to create a port scanner with it. as far as ive gotten, i havent been able to open multiple connections to the same host, has anyone else had this problem?
Danyo

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sending small images wouldn't be too hard...
using whatdotcolour, i took a small image of strongbad, and turned him into drawdot values
to make it a little faster, it would skip every time it was white

i use the same thing in http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=4942
all the tank imgs are in a file called tanks.dan, which consists of lots of numbers like 44 26 7, etc etc
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: