Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Oldskool Cutscence - Scrolling Text On Picture Background
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
GreenTiger

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:51 pm   Post subject: Oldskool Cutscence - Scrolling Text On Picture Background

Okay, I was wondering what was the BEST way to do the oldskool arcade-style cutscenes with the scrolling text going up from the bottom...I was thinking maybe I could draw the text in the right font/colour offscreen, take a pic then move that pic across (pic.Merge) but that might take up ALOT of memory...and I'm not that familiar with offscreen drawing anyways (I havn't used 4.05 enough to really know my way around it.

A little help, please?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

why not just use Font.Draw or Draw.Text ?
GreenTiger

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

but when you move it up, doesn't it leave trails behind it?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not if you clear the screen (cls).
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not if you get rid of it by drawing over it some how or clearing the screen.

also u could allways just make an image with the text in it and then move the image. (that may also require you to drawover it of clear the screen)
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
GreenTiger

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm...okay, I'll try a few things, see what works.
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm not really sure what you mean by old school arcade style cutscenes. The only "cutscenes" I've seen in arcades would be Street Fighter ("Gyoooooo!") and even then it was pretty much just a picture with text at the bottom. No scrolling or whatever.

But that's besides the point. I would suggest you draw the picture, then draw text on top (using Font.Draw), then you have your View.Update delay and then you "clear screen" by simply redrawing the picture. Or if you have a black area at the bottom of the window (like some cutscenes have it), you could have the text there and then you only need to worry about clearing that part of the screen.
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

or another wayway.... draw the text... then wait a little while... then draw it in black **asuming tahts ur background color... then redraw it by higher up..
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
GreenTiger

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Possible...I'll take all into serious consideration...but you seriously mean to tell me that you've never seen those oldskool arcade cutscenes (not like street fighter... more like the Super Star Wars Games...(those were THE best as arcade)

Anyways, they were done on SNES alot more (Super Star Wars and the Scrolling-text cutscenes) So maybe that would've been a better term to use...

But some of my fondest memories came from those Scrolling-cutscene arcade games.
Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've played super star wars on SNES, do u mean those where there are still photos of frozen scenes with a text box at the bottom that scrolls the text up?
GreenTiger

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, those would be the ones...but I remember them being more in arcade games than SNES...?

Oh well, yeah, those oldskool graphics, how would I go about working those into my game? It seems so easy but whenever I try to think of how to do it, it seems a little tricky...? Crying or Very sad

I'll check up with some of all yous guys other ideas from before...just as soon as I get that far into programming. My main program is my main priority. Cutscenes afterwards. (In fact, they're probably gonna be dead last)
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: