Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 need a little bit of help [DDR]
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
nightcrawler938

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:56 pm   Post subject: need a little bit of help [DDR]

I have an ISP to do, I am re-creating the game Dance Dance revolution, i have a problem though, i get the user to enter watn song they want, but when the game starts, i cannot get any user input (when the arrow matches up and the user hits the key) and my GUI menus will freeze. I could use alittle help now Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i have not used the music fuctions in turing but i bivle they are blocking. What this means is that it will stop the progam intill it is done playing the song.

so u will have to uses a process to play the music. An example of this can be found in the turing manual witch i copyed in to this post below:

code:

process DoMusic
            loop
                Music.PlayFile ("branden3.wav")
            end loop
        end DoMusic

fork DoMusic
        var x, y, clr : int
        loop
            x := Rand.Int (0, maxx)
            y := Rand.Int (0, maxy)
            clr := Rand.Int (0, maxcolor)
            Draw.FillOval (x, y, 30, 30, clr)
        end loop
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

may I introduce you to the wonders of turing v4.0.5 - althought numerically it is just a slight modification (3rd order increase), it really changed quite a bit (well... introduced quite a bit of new functions)
code:

Music.PlayFileReturn ( fileName : string )

and
code:

Music.PlayFileLoop ( fileName : string )

Both procedures return as soon as file starts playing, so your program can go on. It eliminates the need of setting up your own processes (I have my suspecions on its internal workings, but what do I know Rolling Eyes )

You could stop your music at any time using
code:

Music.PlayFileStop
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
nightcrawler938

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thank you, its about time holt software didsomething useful
nightcrawler938

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks guys the music coomand really worked well, however, it still proves that it is impossible to run music and recieve input at the same time, anyway around that Question i can get all arrows to appear, but user input freezes it up
nightcrawler938

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

also, i don't know what i should do for arrows, use grid ?
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nightcrawler938 wrote:
thanks guys the music coomand really worked well, however, it still proves that it is impossible to run music and recieve input at the same time, anyway around that Question i can get all arrows to appear, but user input freezes it up

Hacker Dan wrote:
well i have not used the music fuctions in turing but i bivle they are blocking. What this means is that it will stop the progam intill it is done playing the song.

so u will have to uses a process to play the music. An example of this can be found in the turing manual witch i copyed in to this post below:

code:

process DoMusic
            loop
                Music.PlayFile ("branden3.wav")
            end loop
        end DoMusic

fork DoMusic
        var x, y, clr : int
        loop
            x := Rand.Int (0, maxx)
            y := Rand.Int (0, maxy)
            clr := Rand.Int (0, maxcolor)
            Draw.FillOval (x, y, 30, 30, clr)
        end loop

it works, realy, i dont just make this stuff up. i have had input and muscik at the same time.

look:

code:

process DoMusic
    loop
        Music.PlayFile ("streamsound1.mp3")
    end loop
end DoMusic

fork DoMusic

var temp:string

loop
    get temp
    put temp
end loop

works and so dose this in turing 4.0.5

code:

var temp:string
Music.PlayFileReturn ("streamsound1.mp3")
loop
    get temp
    put temp
end loop

but now you may say that it has to do with turing GUI but it dose not

code:

import GUI

procedure DrawRandomCircle
    Music.PlayFileReturn ("streamsound1.mp3")
    var r : int := Rand.Int (20, 50)
    var x : int := Rand.Int (r, maxx - r)
    var y : int := Rand.Int (r, maxy - r)
    var c : int := Rand.Int (0, maxcolor)
    Draw.FillOval (x, y, r, r, c)
    % In case we drew over the buttons, redraw them.
    GUI.Refresh
end DrawRandomCircle

View.Set ("graphics:300;200,nobuttonbar ")
var draw : int := GUI.CreateButtonFull (50, 10, 0, "Draw Circle",
    DrawRandomCircle, 0, '^D', true)
var quitBtn : int := GUI.CreateButton (200, 10, 0, "Quit", GUI.Quit)
loop
    exit when GUI.ProcessEvent
end loop

works fine. sory if i seem pissed but so far you have made over 5 topics realting to this and i dont think you even tryed our solction.

you are knew to the site so i gusse i can undersant it, but plz dont post the same question many many many times. one time in turing help with a good suject name is fine.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i tried creating this game as well, i sorta failed though

check out my code though, its not efficient at all, i was such a n00b 3 months ago

just create a text file with numbers 1-4 for the arrows

ex.

save as trial.step

when i get the time this weekend, ill redo it because now i know objects

debugttr.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  debugttr.t
 Filesize:  19.82 KB
 Downloaded:  215 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
nightcrawler938

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i have tried it, and i works great but the problem is not just that i must press spacebar to pause music and then the arrows go up and still cannot recieve input, the arrows go up and then the game freezes

DDR4.T
 Description:
DDR, missing some pic and sound files, since zip file is too big

Download
 Filename:  DDR4.T
 Filesize:  7.21 KB
 Downloaded:  228 Time(s)

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nightcrawler - you should be ashamed of yourself Rolling Eyes Perhaps you should start paying attention in class - Shannon is a great teacher Wink
code:

procedure DoMusic
    %put usong
    if usong = "Sandstorm" then
        Music.PlayFileLoop ("Darude - Sandstorm.MP3")
        loop
            exit when hasch
        end loop
        Music.PlayFileStop
    elsif usong = "Speedway" then
        Music.PlayFileLoop ("speedway.wav")
        loop
            exit when hasch
        end loop
        Music.PlayFileStop
    end if
end DoMusic

now plz tell me - why do you have those loops in there?!
also why do you set your screen and declear all your menu variables insdie the input procedure?!

I'm sorry - I don't mean offence - but the code looks like shit Confused Maybe you should consider making another game for your project Thinking
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
nightcrawler938

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i do pay attention, i manage to have 94 % in that calss Very Happy , i don't really have time to change, you should have seen the code before, it is all bs, i re did my format to make it neater, especially with the GUI Menus,
i have the loops there because hacker dan told me, err, i didn't realize, now i do, but when this happens and the game starts, the GUI MEnus disapper (cls) or the arrows cause streaking effect, so i tried to recreate them, i could use GUI.Dispose, since i'm familiar with that, i also thought of using rand,int to determine where the arrows go (with specific perameters), ?SO MANY PROBELMS,

however turing 4.0.5, helped alot and i thank you for your help
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well mark in class doesn't mean much Confused

anyways - I'm suspecting that your main problem is the fact that you desided to use turing's GUI Thinking you might consider dropping it and writing your own UI
nightcrawler938

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well i know how to make a GUI button, but have no clue on making my own GUI Menu, would that possibly solve all my problems, shannon thinks i'm going into a whole new world, even i though i agree with Turing's GUI screwing up my entrie program Mad , is there no way around it
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

nope Laughing You see that
code:

loop
     exit when GUI.ProcessEvent
end loop

?
That what's driving your GUI and that is preaty much your entire program. Unless you use GUI for user input you just can't tell what user is doing.

You are going into a whole new world and it ain't preaty.
nightcrawler938

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

no kidding Mad , but anywho, that loop is crucial, because without it, the menus don't drop down, shannon has informed me that,i've already technically created my own, GUI items, she thinks that creating my own GUI, will screw me over!!!
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 47 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: