Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Nooblers List - Things to do in projects next year
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:18 am   Post subject: Nooblers List - Things to do in projects next year

All this year, people on this site have had successes and failures in turing. This has been a positive learning experiance, but had we been able to do this again, what are some changes you can make. Next-years-noobs can make use of this forum, perhaps, if we get enough replies.

I'll go first

For Paint:

1) Use the Font.Draw command rather than locatexy.

The font.draw command has a great documented tutorial and can have size, face, color and special attributes given to it.

feel free to add

-bunny
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Jodo Yodo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Make sure my paint program is full screen before actually continuing. Make sure I know how to use GUI before I put it on the proposal. Make sure to pray to the powers that be that my Computer Science teacher extends the due date. Make sure to not get in over my head for a 'minor' project. Make sure I don't pick a partner going to Florida for the essential week.

*Sigh*

SUPER JUICY!
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

HEY HEY!
I use Draw.Text
are they the same thing???
I checked the syntax and it looks exactly the same.
Anyway, I hate how you can't change fonts without accessing graphics in turing, it sux!
Cause then you deal with pixels and have to set a fixed position for text anytime you want to have a different font.
they should fix it soon.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you can change fonts without accessing graphics.

Go to File -> Preferences then to the Run Window Tab and change the font of the outputted text.
jonos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats not good though, because you can only use 1 font.

edit: i meant you can only use one font for your whole program, you can't use 2 fonts in the same program that way

id say don't use processes because then problems arise in an otherwise good program (what with flashing and bad collision detection, and other stuff). so use loops and everyone will be better off!
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oooh no. There are several different fonts to choose from. Not a complete list, but still, several.
let's see.. advice.. advice....

Always try to make your programs as efficient and tidy as possible, even if it means learning new commands and techneques (that's one of the best reasons TO keep things as efficient and tidy as possible). An example of this is the following: use arrays instead of creating a large amount of variables such as "num1, num2, num3, num4 ,num5, num6, num7", etc.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can't use different fonts in preferences, and does it work on other computers?
They should really fix it though, it shouldn't be that difficult.
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hrm,

Draw.Text is the same as Font.Draw, but I think that Font.Draw is more sound (Font Module used for everything), but it is your choice.

cerv, with Font.New, it is possible to create and use as many fonts as you have in your (font) directory.

All you need is seperate integer variables for each.

PB, most people who program should use a font where each character is the same width as height. I got burned on this already (with the difference between home and school) but preferences are made to stay preferences individually. You can copy the preference file if you do so desire, and bring it to school.

Anyways, back to topic:

Paint:
2) for your color palette, try to include as many colors as possible. A nested for loop, with the maximum of each multiplying to 256 should make a decent range of colors (but ~ 6 shades of the same black) or if you're feeling adventurous, you can use the RBG.AddColor command using real numbers. It is very simple to introduce hex-color this way.

code:

var hexcode : string
put "Enter the Hex Code for your desired color: " ..
get hexcode
if strint (hexcode, 16) >= 0 and strint (hexcode, 16) <= (256 ** 3) then
    drawfillbox (50, 50, 100, 100, RGB.AddColor (strint (hexcode (1 .. 2), 16) / 256, strint (hexcode (3 .. 4), 16) / 256, strint (hexcode (5 .. 6), 16) / 256))
end if

-bunny
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Jodo Yodo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Has anyone noticed how the subject of this board has drastically changed?
jonos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

people have noticed, they just don't want to spam and say they have.

for the original subject:
try to make a virus because those are fun
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

TheZsterBunny wrote:
cerv, with Font.New, it is possible to create and use as many fonts as you have in your (font) directory.

I know Razz
how about, instead of making viruses, learn to hack! Smilewww.scifi.pages.at/hackits
great fun Very Happy
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
TheZsterBunny wrote:

I know Razz
how about, instead of making viruses, learn to hack! Smilewww.scifi.pages.at/hackits
great fun Very Happy

That's not really hacking, it's more like teaching you how JavaScript alone isn't enough for protecting webpages.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: