Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [join my online gamedev team]+I need help with net commands!
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
DanShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:23 pm   Post subject: [join my online gamedev team]+I need help with net commands!

Well, first of all, dont lock, or delete this topic please.
Secondly, I really need help, Im not sure how to get a server to connect to multiple clients, and maintain the connections while constantly sending (x,y), hp, (etc.) variables across the net.
Thirdly, I am looking for people who would like to join a project I am currently working on, which I will explain below.

---------------------------------------------------------------
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiUnholy Sanctumiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
---------------------------------------------------------------
Unholy Sanctum is an online, multiplayer, fully graphical RPG in development. So far, I have 4 other members:
Me-(program leader, graphics design, server development, client development, mad math calculations guy, etc. etc.)
Phil-(graphics design, mad math calculations guys, idea man, statistic design, weapon/armor statistic/graphics design)
Brian-(Map design, statistic design, weapon/armor statistic design)
Aaron-(Server development, client-server maintenance)
The problem is, Im doing 90% of the work, Aaron is horribly struggling with many errors in multiplayer server relations, and the others arent doing too much right now.
I am looking mainly for somebody to assist with server development, someone to do (2D pixel) graphic design, and if you can think of another job, please tell me.
As of now, I have coded most of the client. Each map is a 10*10 tile map, (50*50 pixel tiles) that lead into eachother. So with the map editor, you can program exits to specific places in specific maps. The tileset is 2D, and help in a record array. There is a menu which enables the user to view the items they have equipped (weapon,shield,helm,breastplate,ring1,ring2,amulet,boots,leggings), there stats, there inventory (3*3- 9 spaces), and their skills (unfinished). The user can walk around the map, there is collision detection so for example, a player cant walk on water, and walk through walls. The user can pick up, and drop items as well as hold them in their inventory. Each item has the ability to up any number of stats, have damage, have defense, etc. So each item is in a record with (ie. str_up,dex_up,hp_up,min_dam:int), etc. This is a pretty complex project, but if you are skilled in Turing, I emplore you to e-mail me at: InuYasha_665@hotmail.com with the following information:
first name, age, grade, best programming achievment, average computer science grade, what you think you could contribute to the Unholy Sanctum project, and any comments.
Thanks a lot for reading this, and I hope to hear from some of you soon.
(PS: I may not get the message if you reply here, so please send an e-mail.)

Sincerely, Dan Shadow
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well I'm preaty sure that a chat app's source is posted someplace around here Confused

anyways... the way i imagine serverside is just an array of connectons, which you alternatly check for requests. If no info comes from the connection within timeout period, that connection is dropped so that ports do not get filled up with idle connections

clientside will be doing all of the calculations, server will act only as a connecton router, establishing connections between clients. server will also hold player position.

the clients will be 'requesting' info from the server such as positions of players in viewable area. Clients might also request the server to relay the request to another client such as to inflict damage to another player or other P2P actions (Trade, etc)

I think thats the basic outline
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well if yer using some shitty language like turing... i can help u with networking... but if u wanna do something good like c++ i know that dan used to work on that for the dteam project...
recneps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah... i dont think turing is the best languages to do this in. Unless you want it to be a crappy start, then move to another language ;D
DanShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The problem with learning new languages, is that availability of learning material is limited. I have a stupid public library that has books on java, and a couple on cpp. I want to learn c++, but the books wont help, because theyre like "third edition" teaching the more advanced aspects of it. Java, I dont really like at all, because its pretty complicated, and cpp is a more direct approach to game design. As for doing it in Turing....well all my other game dev members are lazy, and wont learn other languages. So....doing it in Turing is probably the best I can do so far, lol.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

learn blitz. not only is it a really good language to do this in, you'll get help Smile
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i second that. and everyone will respect you more cause you are learning the coolest language!
white_dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

turing is a shity language. hard to do tings in it but i guess it's harder to learn another language like c++ like he said.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

White Dragon Said :
Quote:

hard to do tings in it

Im sorry but that is a very poor poor statement , it shows that you hace not pit any effort into learning it , i think you should look at another language come back nd rethink your statement , turing was mde to be simplistic its very very easy to learn and use , and its a good basis for programming , dont jusdge a language
Quote:
t you havent tried to understand
DanShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well...im gonna take some of your advice. I disbanded the Unholy Sanctum project to my grief. Turing Net commands are not strong enough to support such a project....so the project will not make any further progress until I learn a better programming language. Next semester in Computer Science, im going to be learning Java, so ill probably start learning that soon. (Although, Aaron (my second in command guy) has suggested that I learn Perl, because its compatible on mostly everything, but I probably wont. So....well, ill probably put a demo of what I have done on Unholy Sanctum once I register my website. (Still gotta confirm bank account thing at PayPal, lol)
Thanks for your responses.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: