Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Initialize an array in an if statement
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
vansh03

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:45 pm   Post subject: Initialize an array in an if statement

What is it you are trying to achieve?
I am trying to declare an array variable in an if statement.

What is the problem you are having?
*variable name* has not been declared

Describe what you have tried to solve this problem
I have tried declaring the variable at the top and only changing its value in the if statement but an array can only be initialized once. I understand that each index of an array can be set separately but i have many arrays in my actual program which are changed very often. Setting each one separately could easily take thousands of lines.

Post any relevant code
Underneath is code for a simplified version of what I'm trying to do, as my actual program is too long and complicated.

Turing:

var c : int := 1

if c = 1 then
    var x : array 1..2 of int := init(5, 6)
else
    var x : array 1..2 of int := init(7, 8)
end if

put x(2)

Please specify what version of Turing you are using
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Initialize an array in an if statement

If you declare a variable inside an if statement, then it only exists inside that if statement. The same applies to loops, functions, procedures, etc. You need to declare it before the if, then initialize it inside the if.
vansh03

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:17 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Initialize an array in an if statement

Insectoid @ Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm wrote:
If you declare a variable inside an if statement, then it only exists inside that if statement. The same applies to loops, functions, procedures, etc. You need to declare it before the if, then initialize it inside the if.

How would I do that with an array?
lordroba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 pm   Post subject: Re: Initialize an array in an if statement

You either need to have it like this...

Turing:

if c = 1 then
put x(2)

else
put x(2)

end if

or declare the x variable outside the if statement like Insectoid said.

In the case that c does not equal 1, the program won't know what x is, that's why it's giving you an error.
vansh03

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Initialize an array in an if statement

lordroba @ Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 pm wrote:
You either need to have it like this...

Turing:

if c = 1 then
put x(2)

else
put x(2)

end if

or declare the x variable outside the if statement like Insectoid said.

In the case that c does not equal 1, the program won't know what x is, that's why it's giving you an error.

In my actual program, I need to put x outside of the if statement as there needs to be code in between, and I can't seem to declare an array then initialize after the fact. Turing won't let me. Confused
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:41 am   Post subject: RE:Initialize an array in an if statement

just assign each value of the array, its troublesome but thats turing for you....

generally you shouldn't have to do that though, if i knew the question i could probly help you better but i dont know why you would want to have to do it like this...?

Turing:

var ar : array 0 .. 1 of int
var c: int := 2

if c = 1 then
    ar(0) := 5
    ar(1) := 6
else
    ar(0) := 7
    ar(1) := 8
end if

put ar(0)
put ar(1)

http://compsci.ca/holtsoft/doc/init.html

http://compsci.ca/holtsoft/doc/array.html
vansh03

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:28 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Initialize an array in an if statement

TokenHerbz @ Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:41 am wrote:
just assign each value of the array, its troublesome but thats turing for you....

generally you shouldn't have to do that though, if i knew the question i could probly help you better but i dont know why you would want to have to do it like this...?

Turing:

var ar : array 0 .. 1 of int
var c: int := 2

if c = 1 then
    ar(0) := 5
    ar(1) := 6
else
    ar(0) := 7
    ar(1) := 8
end if

put ar(0)
put ar(1)

http://compsci.ca/holtsoft/doc/init.html

http://compsci.ca/holtsoft/doc/array.html

Sorry about that, I am just so frustrated with my program that I forgot ti say thanks. Thankyou for taking time out to help me.

My program is actually a word search game so it needs to have the actual game in between the if statement and the put. in the real program, its also not a put its just the actual use of the array in the game. The game is very long so It would unnecessary to copy and paste hundreds of lines in each if and elsif. That's before mentioning, my real program has 11 arrays, not 1, with 15 indexes each, so setting each index of each array separately is not really an option.

Thanks to everyone again for the responses.
Im hoping explaining my situation a little better helps finding the solution. Smile
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Initialize an array in an if statement

Tokenherbz' solution is the correct one. What goes between the if and the put doesn't really matter at all. That said, why do you have 15 arrays? Why do you need that many for a word search?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:32 am   Post subject: RE:Initialize an array in an if statement

im curious aswell, perhaps we could give you advice to better tackle your problem if we knew what your trying to accomplish?
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: