Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I'm writing a choose your own adventure game, delays too short or long, continue when hasch?
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
BlackCoyote

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:06 am   Post subject: I'm writing a choose your own adventure game, delays too short or long, continue when hasch?

Hello, great community! I'm trying to make the user be able to read everything displayed in my choose your own adventure game, I don't want to delay for too long as if they are fast readers, it can be too slow, and I don't want it to be too fast for the slow readers. Would I be able to create a variable that would continue to the next piece of the program using hasch or somthing? Like they push enter to continue kind of thing. Any help would be much appreciated!

I have tried editing all of my delays to make the user be able to read the text on the screen instead of it jumping.
For example: There is more above but this is the main problem where this would come in handy.
%Right before the cls it goes to fast to read. That's why I was hoping for a continue with enter kinda thing.

Turing:

elsif Choice = "leave" then
        delay(1000)
        put "You walk out of the house attempting to look for answers."
        delay(2000)
        put "When you leave the house, you squint your eyes, looking at the brightness of the sun."
        delay(1000)
        put "A stranger intentionally walks into you while you're still adjusting to the brightness, you fall to the ground and"
        delay(2000)
        put "immediately try to find the stranger who bumped into you."
        delay(2000)
        put "You spot a dark figure cresting the hill ahead of you. You jump up and start running toward the same hill."
        delay(2000)
        put "When you arrive at the top of the hill, your peer over the other side and the dark figure isn't there."
        delay(2000)
        put "You stand there peering over the other side of the hill, then all of a sudden, you feel a sharp pain in the back of your head."
        delay(2000)
        put "You wake up in a strange new place, the breeze is cold, the ground is wet."
        delay(2000)
        put "The dark figure from before is peering down at you, with an evil glare that you just notice."
        delay(5000)
        cls
        delay(2000)
        put "The dark figure stands there, watching your every move. Then after a minute."
        delay(700)
        colourback(black)
        colour(white)
        delay(4000)
        put "HE'S GONE"
        colourback(white)
        colour(black)
        delay(2000)
        put "A voice starts talking, ", Player
        delay(2000)
        put "I've been expecting you."
        delay(1000)

Turing Version 4.1
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:22 pm   Post subject: RE:I\'m writing a choose your own adventure game, delays too short or long, continue when hasch?

You can enter a loop does nothing but exit when a key is pressed.
BlackCoyote

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:07 am   Post subject: RE:I\'m writing a choose your own adventure game, delays too short or long, continue when hasch?

True. I will try that and see if that works.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: