Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What was Steam made with?
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:02 pm   Post subject: What was Steam made with?

The gaming store Steam is something that I like and use, just wondering what it was made with, and when. It probably isn't very useful knowledge, but neither is half the things I know (somehow I doubt being able to spell the long form of DNA faster than a lot of people say it will help me very much).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:48 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

The Wikipedia article on Steam answers your question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28software%29
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:53 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

The desktop client is in C++, but http://store.steampowered.com/ has its front-end developed in (probably) PHP. There are HTML assets shared between the two, if the desktop client comes with web-view.

There are backend and infrastructure parts that are invisible, but necessary to make any of this work.

Keep in mind that oftentimes the language choice is due to legacy reasons. E.g. something that an initial group of developers were already familiar with.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:06 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

Thanks. We are learning stuff at school with Turing, and I am silently frustrated. Sure, it is a good introduction to programming, but it is really outdated for modern tech, even if you were to go pixel by pixel.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:09 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

How old is C++, by the way?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:08 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

That's a deceptively complicated question. C has first appeared in 1972, C++ (which is a superset of C) first appeared in 1983. The current language is C++11 which came out a few years ago, and my understanding is that C++14 has been defined and is in the process of rolling out.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:09 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

That is an openly complicated but useful answer. Thanks.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:55 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

Do you guys use Steam? Or should I ask, do you guys play games?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:03 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

I use steam way too much Sad
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:12 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

Yes, but not as much after entering my second year of university
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:54 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

I barely use Steam. I wouldn't use it at all if I didn't have to to play L4D2 and Portal (the only Steam games I own). It's just extra background crap that slows everything down. The mac client is better now than it was but it's still really slow. It can take over a minute just to log me in. Occasionally it will 'forget' all my games and I have to delete all the files manually and completely re-install all 2 of them, which sucks. I've tried everything to get it to recognize the installs but nothing works. I don't remember who any of my steam friends are because I never interact with them (they are all IRL friends, I just don't know which account belongs to who).

The vast majority of my games are non-steam. Kerbal Space Program, L4D2 and CoD4 are probably my all-time favorites for PC. Quake 4 gets 2nd place.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:11 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

Is Tony's Clone a rank, or does it denote being an alternate account for Tony? Right now I am guessing it is a rank, unless Tony has quite a few alt's, and only one he uses.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:08 pm   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

Worth noting that part of Tony's answer is only partly correct. C++ is mostly a superset of C, but changes some corner case behavior sufficiently to not be considered a perfect superset of C.

It is not possible to compile C programs with a C++ compiler and be guaranteed correct behavior from the resulting program.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:57 am   Post subject: RE:What was Steam made with?

Thanks for all the answers, considering that I am just some newb who doesn't know anything about programming. I use Steam because I'm an idiot who doesn't computer good.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: