Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Access array without a for loop?
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
amz_best

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:38 pm   Post subject: Access array without a for loop?

What is it you are trying to achieve?
Access an array without a for loop

What is the problem you are having?
idk how 2.

Describe what you have tried to solve this problem
tried not using a for loop. didnt work.

Post any relevant code (You may choose to attach the file instead of posting the code if it is too long)
nothing relevant, i just need the basic idea

Turing:

<Add your code here>

Please specify what version of Turing you are using
latest version of open turing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Access array without a for loop?

amz_best @ Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:38 pm wrote:

tried not using a for loop. didnt work.

Lets see how you've tried it. While at it, post an example that _does_ use a loop as well -- this can be used to figure out parts that are necessary, and what can be taken out.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Access array without a for loop?

If you want to iterate through the entirety of an array, you need a for loop.

If you want to access a specific index of an array, you can get away with no for loop.

Whether in a for loop or not in a for loop, the array-access code syntax is identical.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Access array without a for loop?

@nathan technically you don't need a for loop, per se...
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Access array without a for loop?

or a loop at all. E.g. recursion or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_unrolling
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Access array without a for loop?

How would you do it with recursion?
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:05 am   Post subject: RE:Access array without a for loop?

writing loops using recursive calls
Quote:

$ irb
2.1.2 :001 > def go(arr)
2.1.2 :002?> if arr.any?
2.1.2 :003?> puts "item #{arr.first}"
2.1.2 :004?> go(arr[1..-1])
2.1.2 :005?> end
2.1.2 :006?> end
=> :go
2.1.2 :007 > go([1,2,3])
item 1
item 2
item 3
=> nil
amz_best

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:47 pm   Post subject: RE:Access array without a for loop?

can someone explain to me what this recursion idea is?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Access array without a for loop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursion_(computer_science)
Quote:

Recursion in computer science is a method where the solution to a problem depends on solutions to smaller instances of the same problem
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Access array without a for loop?

When you loop in a program, what you're really doing, however the code may express it, is setting an initial state, checking for a condition, performing some set of operations, then doing it all again.

We can do this with a for loop in C.

code:
int i;

for (I = 0; I < 5; I++) {
   printf("%d\n", I);
}

And this will print the follow to stdout.

code:

But, a function can also create an initial state, it can test for a condition, and it can process a whole series of operations.

code:
void my_function(int i) {
   if (i < 5) {
      printf("%d\n", i);
   }
}

And if we call the function again it can also repeat this.

code:
void my_function(int i) {
   if (i < 5) {
      printf("%d\n", i);
      my_function(i + 1);
   }
}

Such that the following will replicate the original for loop's effects.

code:
my_function(0);
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:58 pm   Post subject: RE:Access array without a for loop?

Oh, oops... thought this was in C help. Ah well, concept is the same.
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:10 pm   Post subject: Re: Access array without a for loop?

Here's the translation into Turing.

wtd wrote:

When you loop in a program, what you're really doing, however the code may express it, is setting an initial state, checking for a condition, performing some set of operations, then doing it all again.

We can do this with a for loop in C [Turing].

Turing:
for i : 0 .. 4
    put i
end for

And this will print the following to stdout [the run window in Turing].

code:

But, a function[a function that does not return a value is a procedure in Turing] can also create an initial state, it can test for a condition, and it can process a whole series of operations.

Turing:
procedure my_procedure (i : int)
    if (i < 5) then
        put i
    end if
end my_procedure

And if we call the function again it can also repeat this.

Turing:
procedure my_procedure  (i : int)
    if (i < 5) then
        put i
        my_procedure (i + 1)
    end if
end my_procedure

Such that the following will replicate the original for loop's effects.

Turing:
my_procedure (0)

Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: