Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 need serious HELP for ISU game (dance dance revolution)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:11 pm   Post subject: need serious HELP for ISU game (dance dance revolution)

i was confident i could do it, but now i realize i cant do it

if you really want, you could go through my code and see whats wrong

but id be appreciative if you just help me with the logic

Ttr.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Ttr.t
 Filesize:  17.32 KB
 Downloaded:  263 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh forgot one thing

for some reason it doesnt upload my text file

if your actually going to try out my program then

save a file called "trial.step" which has numbers from 1-4

ex.

limited_skillz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

to you guys who downloaded it

should i pretty much just start over, or am i just missing a few things?
santabruzer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

can you attach the other file as well, or is what you specified up ^ ? as in.. do you want us to just have that, or something else?
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah just make a file called "trial.step" and put in numbers from 1-4 on different lines
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't know if I'll debug the whole thing, so I'll post things as I find them (I only look at it when it's not my turn in Heroes of Might and Magic Wink )

1. Make your filename a constant and put it at the top of your program. You probably wanted to give the use some choice, but for now make it simple (comment out the "getFileName" proc for now)

2. Your title screen lags like mad. Just make a variable to keep track of whnat state you are in (eg. "over the top arrow", "over none") then only redraw when this state changes.
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks, ill add those things in once im done the main game

i dont really care about the title screen or minor things like that without a working game first
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I see what you are trying to do with your update process but it goes against the purpose of the "offscreenonly" - View.Update combo.
What you want to do with the View.Update is to ensure that the next frame of your game is ready before you put it on the screen. Unfortunately with your reliance on processes for a good part of your program it will be a bit of a task to change it.

This might sound harsh but I would drop ALL of the processes. Instead keep track of what's going on in variables. Put a main game loop inside controlGame and when you update the arrows only move them a small bit each time.

To get a constant frame rate the way you had with your View.Update use something like:
code:
loop
     clock(now)
     if now - lastUpdate > 50 then
          View.Update
          lastUpdate = now
     end if
end loop
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok thanks that was really helpful, i knew i was too reliant on processes, but i got really lazy

oh i just installed turing 4.0.5 and theres this new View.UpdateArea and it seems useful for my situation, ill maybe try that out first
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: