Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Dowload Pauser
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
recneps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:29 pm   Post subject: Dowload Pauser

Can turing download files? and if so, would it be possible to make a download pauser? I'm really tired of having to dload large files, just to have my comp crash or something like 5 mins before they done :\
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Turing canot direct download a fie ,it can dl image and text but with lots of limitations , only 256 characters per line , no ilegal charecters , and it has to be able to open the file and read every line in it , way to retarded to even attemps a dl program , it would never ever ever work
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i think u could do it if you just read each line at a time and put it in to a file then got the next. also i think u could get pased the iglleage cahr isues some how. for text files it whould probly work well.

i bet u could also get it to dl the file with the windows dl thing using Sys.exec
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sys.Exec dosent count , because the nyour jsut using windows app , turing will crash if ther are 257 characters on the line , and in most cases there are over 1000 on a line , it would be so buggy it would be lucky to work once i belive
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that why you got to break up the lines if they are over 250....
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

but would you not then end up distorting code ,

IE

BLAH BLAH BLAH , and this is where charact
er 256 was broken off

so now " charact / er " are seperated and that changes the download code , and how are you gonna get turing to translate an exe , into pure ASCII , and get it to split into 255 lines without making an error , just dont see the point at all , im sure there is a perfectly good freeware one out there
Method

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
just dont see the point at all , im sure there is a perfectly good freeware one out there

Sure there is. The whole point, however, is that as the elite programmers that we are, each and every one of us must solve all our computer software woes with our own home-brewed concotions, each consuming copious amounts of our time, sweat and blood.

Or, you could wuss out and get a freeware program. Twisted Evil
DanShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Very well said Method. [+ few bits]
Too many of us, who h ave the capability to do so much, are using other peoples programs instead of doing it ourselves. Im the kind of person, who if has time, will create programs with random purposes that I may or may not need...not for the real usage of it, but t he experience. If I learn how to create many aspects of many different programs....ill have the know-how to do others in the future. Very Happy

BorgViva la Programmers!Borg
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright then enough of the squabiling , lets get a method down to do this ,
First of all do you want it to do multi downloading of just single
recneps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

What i mean is, if turing could download files (the debate has begun! 8 posts overnight! Smile ) then could a program be made, that can pause a download whenever (save the downloaded portions when the button clicked or whatever) and then resume later on. Single file is good, but i gues multi would work. The bottom line is, can turing dload files without having them corrupted from being broken up as someone said earlier.
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well thts what i was talking about with the splitting of words , if you have , "Shorthair" at the end of a line and you seperate it into " Shor" , NEW LINE "thair" , do you still have the same code of do you have 2 words instead of one now , i think that this would corrupt all files that have lines bigger than 256 characters , unless you played safe and changed line at the first space over 220 characters so IE

code:

if character = "" and char =>220 then

so to play safe and never go over 256 , and also seperate the line at a spcae value
recneps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Too complicated for me Very Happy Ill just do it in vb when i learn a little more (if its possible in vb?)
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well if u did it one char at a time somting like:

code:

loop
%%%code to download next char of file
put stream, onechar..
end loop
recneps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

but how do you download 1 char of a file at a time?
santabruzer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i have no idea if this is right but.. i dunnu meh:
code:
        if Net.CharAvailable (netStream) then
            var ch : char
            get : netStream, ch
            put ch ..
        end if

Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: