Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Where to start?
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mUttEn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:02 pm   Post subject: Where to start?

I know this may sound like a joke, but believe me it isn't. I'm very new to programming, I have a little QBasic experience (When I say little, I mean little. All I know are basic Print and input commands, and that's with a piece of paper with the codes on it beside me.) and I would like to learn a programming language that is useful. So I thought turing would be a good place to start, since it is taught in my school. I want to learn it and all, but I have no idea where to start, how to I begin a program, what commands do I use, what is the santax, how do if commands work, and so many more questions. So if anyone here, after they're done laughing, could be kind enough to post a tutorial, or link to one, that would teach a n00b like me where to start, and how so to do that, it would be really appriciated. If it is at all possible, could someone else also post some idea's for programs I could make to see if I actually learned anything. So that way I can learn something and then figure out if I know how to use it right.

Thank you!

- mUttEn

*P.S. One day I hope to be as good as some of you... heh, being as good as any of you would make me happy! Very Happy*
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
scryed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sorry but no one here is going to spoon-feed you (far as I can tell). I assume you have Turing. Go to the teacher at your school who teaches Turing and get a book from him/her. There is a don't panic guide that will get your feet wet. Once keep checking back here and checking turorials. Before you post a question make sure you try the search button at the top.
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

HMMMM where to start EH ,L00k around , and change the thread name while your at it
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

guys, don't rip on the guy. He just started, and I'm sure all of you were like him one time or another.

For turing, I would say we are the best site for it. But there are other tutorials out there. Believe me, I use to read those before I joined compsci.ca. Here is a good turing website if you need basic help:

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/lab/firstyear/turing_lecture_notes/turing_notes.html

http://schools.limestone.on.ca/napdi/library/curriculum/technineprogram/DataFrame.html

and there was one other, but i forgot the URL, see if those above could help you out.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well seeing as you have little background in programming I'm gonna assume you know what kind of stuff you can try to do with program. The trick is to find your way to do so.

here at compsci.ca we have tons of tutorials covering almost everything you need to know. Links to various useful tutorials is found here

make sure to browse though the [Turing Tutorials] forum for other interesting material.

If there's something particular you're looking for, use the search function
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
thoughtful

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yea as tony said, BTW if you want something to start of, there is always the turing reference.

Also here are commands and quick simple stuff tht will help u make small programs.

%variable declaration-
var variablename:type
(types u can use are int (for integer), real( for decimal numbers), string(for well text))

%some drawing commands
drawfillbox(x1,y1,x2,y2,colour(number or a name recognised by turing))

% output text
put "text in here"
output a variable
put variablename

&get input
get variablename (must be declared before)

%loop
loop
<whatever here>
end loop

well i think u have an idea by now, rest u will have to do by yourself, try making some stuff and if you get in problems u can search and if you dont find a good answer u can always post and we will be glad to help.

Program to try
Get inout from keyboard and print it to screen
Draw somekind of pattern using turing
Use a simple loop and keep outputting something or getting input

E.T.C

Adios

PS:- You might be fascinated by turing but soon..very soon you will get really annoyed Razz Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

first program I suggest doing is a program to determine the bigger of 2 numbers

the only commands you should know for this program are
var
put
get
&
if statements

I would recommend not doing anything with graphics for a little while.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i remember there was a tutorial for extreme noobs... search for it
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh and don't try to learn whatdotcolour for a while, it could destroy your will to live Laughing
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtf?? everyone should learn whatdotcolor first so they dont get screwed on the CCC
Cervantes, ur going down... -5 bits
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol. the kikkoman is more powerful than I imagined!

I must spam in the Turing Help forum to get my bits back! Smile

(don't kill me I'm just kidding Razz)
thoughtful

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Whatdotcolor, yea i forogt tht in my post *kicks himself*
Whatdotcolor is the best thing turing has Smile
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

suck up Razz
Maverick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Browner.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

First. Get ahold of a book, it makes it easier when you have it at your elbow. The order in the turing Tutorial guide is reasonable and is designed for someone just such as yourself (0 experience, willing to work to learn the language) If this is simply not possible I suggest:

1. Learn basic output and Math operators (put,+,-,*,/, div, mod)
2. Variables and input
(must know int,string,real. Try making programs that convert $US->$Can, inches to cm...)
3. if and case
4. loop and for
5. ALL graphics
6. procedure and function
At this point you are ready to develop a proper program/game. Developing programs is a different skill than simply knowing commands. Developing programs is an art. Look around at the Turing submissions, try to understand other people's code, then make your own program. Try something basic like knucklebones (roll 2 dice, bet, high roll wins). Before trying to learn more advanced stuff try pong or Tic-Tac-Toe. Once you've done that you'll realize the need for more organized programs
7. Arrays - Arrays are vital. You have to learn more than just how to store and retrieve from them (basic syntax) you need to learn the wide range of how they can be helpful.
8. String Manipulation
9. File access
10. Records

Here are enough examples to teach you most of this:

my examples.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  my examples.zip
 Filesize:  73.59 KB
 Downloaded:  306 Time(s)

Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 21 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: