Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A few pointers on a program I'm currently writing in Turing
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
RoNiN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:02 pm   Post subject: A few pointers on a program I'm currently writing in Turing

Greets all...

To get straight to the point, I'm writing a "Personal Organizer" program in Turing for my Gr. 11 Computer Science course... It will basically function like a little pocket organizer on your PC.

I'm going to have 4 functions on it, an Address Book, Calendar, Notepad and a Calculator... I'm thinking of the first 3 funtions using files to store the information entered by the user, but I'm having trouble with the address book and calendar...

Could I have some advice on how these could be written in the most efficient way, or another way altogether? Just summarized explanations please, as I have to write the code myself.

Thanks!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i'd suggest u work on them individually then sys.execute them from ur main prog
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You will need to lean how to read write mod and seek bunary files , for the address book , so that you can changeg the adrees of peolpe and the phone number and such
RoNiN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yep I know how to use files and I was working on it this morning... I made some good progress and if I run into any additional problems I'll be sure to post here, thanks for the replies...
RoNiN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

*bump*

Ok just one thing I need to know at the moment..

I need a way to erase the file or overwrite the file with a blank one with no problems.

Thanks Smile
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well if u open a file to write and it already exists, turing will automatically wipe that file for you... not sure if turing has an append function
RoNiN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yes I tried that but my menu gets all messed up, blank entries and stuff..

I'll try again and see if I can get it working...

[EDIT: Got the "erase entire address book" working...

Any ideas on how to edit or erase specific entries in the address book? I can provide my source if needed. After that I'm almost done this section of my program!]
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well y dont u just dump the entire database into array(s) and then only save the ones u want by setting the ones u dont want to blank and have
code:

if list(i) not="" then
    save(list(i)
end if
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
RoNiN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok... I completely finished everything except:

Calculator function
Calendar function

I'm thinking on using graphics and mouse to use the calculator.. Any other ideas are welcome, but the code shouldn't be too complicated.

For the calendar, thats where I'm getting stumped... I don't know how I should go about actually displaying it... I'm thinking of using that clock function (if it has the date as well I can't remember right now) to determine which month it is (and therefore how many days in that month) and then display numbers 1-whatever in a menu list, where you can write a small note for each day and store it in a file...

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: