Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Is ANYONE gonna post here?
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Skizzarz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:50 pm   Post subject: Is ANYONE gonna post here?

man its been a week since theres been a single vb help post, is every one pro or smthn?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

haha Laughing yeah Wink

actually I think its just me and homer here Confused Reason being there're other much larger VB forums out there Rolling Eyes compsci.ca is still relativly new
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hehe yeah... and there's only been 2 programs posted other than mine...
McKenzie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think it has to do with the curriculum taught in the province. I know that I teach VB at the gr10 level. The vast majority of them are not looking to go "above and beyond" they are happy if their programs work. I know that a lot of schools don't even touch VB.
Thuged_Out_G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my school has the whole microsoft visual studio on ALL their computers...yet they teach turing, to everyone....although they may teach java next year, although i highly doubt it
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Grade 10 = Logic and Turing
Grade 11 = Advanced Turing , Binary writing
Grade 12 = Java
santabruzer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

while we are on the topic.. is there anything important taught in the gr11 course that is needed for the gr12.. i'm thinking of skipping to java Confused
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

WEll java is really different , and if your willing to jsut learn some at home or teach yourself , you should be fine , most people who take grade 12 do really well , there to ones who actually were good at 10 & 11 , it will be no walk in the park , but if you lok carefully your school would probably pay for you to take your sun certification at hte end of the corse , its suposedly one of the hardest certifications to get but once you have it , it would look awsome on any resume
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
apomb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im in gr eleven and i am just finishing a java course in which i have done well. last year we did turing and i found that the ppl who were taught turing last yesr did better in java than those who didnt take turing
-in gr 12 visual C++
personally, i am interested in vb and that is one reason im posting...
santabruzer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my teacher just said that i'm way ahead of the class and that it'll take some time, but i could easily manage it. i'm just trying to see if i should go for it or not..
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

don't even think of skipping java, since it's THE language 8) I think all first year CS uni courses are in Java Thinking
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

man... i hate java! i wish they'd teach c++ in 12 Sad
McKenzie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

As this VB topic evolves into a VC++ vs Java debate perhaps this is a good place to bounce my ideas off people. I've been teaching C in gr12 and C++ in OAC for years. With the loss of OAC I've dropped the ANSI-C and went straight to C++. As Tony points out Java is used in quite a few Universities and it is gaining support in the workplace. I'm planning on teaching Java next year for gr12.
Homer - why do you hate Java?
Tony - why do you love it?
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I have no problem learning java next year , what rocks is my school pays for any first try of certification , i get a shot at the A+ next year at the end of grade 12 engineering , I thnk java is pretty useful , but im not sure if il keep it up well it really depends what the university of ontario will teaches ( Where i would like to go ) , i think that they Do C++ , ohh and on ht er site the do Java aswell, so really both of those languages are useful
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Someone should move this to general discussion and change the name to something else , so people can see what they will belearing in the future and what its like ,
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: