Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Turing Isometric RPG
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
DanShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:58 pm   Post subject: Turing Isometric RPG

I got bored, and as for me being a pixel designer as well as a programmer, I decided to start an isometric turing rpg. I have never seen this done, but so far, I have the tiles printing out correctly. (50 of them) Im also making this a scroller, so you can only see like 5 tiles * 5 tiles around you. (Except when you move, where the tiles shift, the program deletes them, and redraws the new incoming tiles.)
I was wondering if I could get some help...like suggestions on how I might do some things. Like monster movement could be a problem, and so could collision detection. My pixel graphics are like 20 colors in one, so whatdotcolor wont work very well...and they are isometric, so that makes collision detection difficult. I was thinking about checking to the middle of a tile ahead of me while im walking, and check what kind of tile it is, and if its (for ex.) grass, I can walk, if its (ex.) water, I cant. (I have a variable in the array that records the type of tile it is...this helps when drawing it out.) Also, moving the monsters, and the monsters vision could be a problem. But I was thinking like, if the players 'x,y' co-ordinates are within 30 pixels, it checks which quadrant (alpha,beta,delta,gamma....bottom left,top right, bottom right, top left) the player is in relative to the monster, and moving accordingly.) I think the monsters and player will have to move by tile, not by (ex.) x:=x+3, y:=y+3. Please give some input or suggestions, thanks! Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

just keep everything in arrays Laughing it's the best advice you can get for this sort of thing.

Collision detection is easy since you just check what the next tile contains.

So is the movement - just hope from tile to tile.

Should be easy if you organize your data matrix the right way
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: