Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Why Java sucks
Index -> Java
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Prince Pwn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:05 am   Post subject: RE:Why Java sucks

Java is very CPU heavy. It's also very slow. Java is a fun language to use but both Java as a whole and Sun Microsystems the company and their Java fail when it comes to speed.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 am   Post subject: RE:Why Java sucks

This is an old, tired argument, but here we go again: Java isn't slow. Go build a benchmark that uses equivalent code between Java and (supposedly faster language). Chances are good that Java's performance will be within about 5% of the reference implementation.

If it isn't, go get a JVM that's at least version 5 (1.5) or 6 (1.6). SUN's versioning system is dumb as anything, but that's a separate issue.

If it still isn't, please post code. Try not to make the usual "Java versus C benchmark" mistakes, like accidentally using synchronized collections, non-buffered or synchronized (or both) I/O, concatenating too many strings, etc.

If anything, Java is more guilty of being memory-heavy (30-60mb overhead, depending on launch configuration) than CPU-heavy. Even this is a minor issue, except at launch-time where the JVM has to be loaded before your program even starts to load.
2goto1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:07 am   Post subject: RE:Why Java sucks

Java works great, countless companies big and small use it for everything from desktop to enterprise. It scales well on the enterprise side of things. This argument is definitely moot.

Like any development platform that uses a virtual machine, there are trade-offs. But they are largely negated since Java bytecode is compiled by the JIT compiler, into a lower level machine format.

Java has been owned by Oracle since acquiring Sun in 2009.
102jon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:23 pm   Post subject: Re: Why Java sucks

Java is plain dirt. C++ over java any day. But +1 for anyone who said python. If you're a very good programmer it is redundant to use a language that "nannies" you. Development speed for the win.
BigBear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:26 am   Post subject: RE:Why Java sucks

Back to original post has java adopted any of those features it didn't have almost 6 years ago
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:10 am   Post subject: RE:Why Java sucks

Well the last major release was Java 6 and that happened in December 2006. So that's a no for most (all?) points, but it hasn't really been six years either. Lets see what's in Java 7's branch.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:24 am   Post subject: RE:Why Java sucks

Java 7 has been released for preview. See here: http://jdk7.java.net/preview/
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Why Java sucks

I heard a rumour recently that apple was going to stop supporting java on their machines, like they decided to not support flash. I was wondering if this is true or not.

Edit: Also I read something about success of competitions based on language, very interesting, C programs ran out of time and memory the least, C++ next, and Java and python last, but it really didnt make a difference, the biggest difference was in failure to compile, which is a reflection not upon the language, but rather on the fact that n00bs are more likely to get into java than C++ and especially compared to C. It was actually a very very interesting chart, and if anyone wants I can post the chart.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:24 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Why Java sucks

mirhagk @ Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:28 pm wrote:
I heard a rumour recently that apple was going to stop supporting java on their machines, like they decided to not support flash. I was wondering if this is true or not.

They still support Flash, they do not ship it pre-installed due to a serious loss of battery life: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/22/apple-responds-on-missing-flash-in-new-macbook-airs-says-get-us/

mirhagk wrote:

It was actually a very very interesting chart, and if anyone wants I can post the chart.

Yes please... BooHoo
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Why Java sucks

I meant like on iPod touch and iPad, where applications aren't even allowed to have it, like web browsers can't be made which support flash on ipod touch. (However cloud browse will decrypt flash and convert it at a server so that you can actually use it, its the most amazing app ever)
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:51 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Why Java sucks

mirhagk @ Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:29 pm wrote:
I meant like on iPod touch and iPad, where applications aren't even allowed to have it, like web browsers can't be made which support flash on ipod touch. (However cloud browse will decrypt flash and convert it at a server so that you can actually use it, its the most amazing app ever)
So will SkyFire...
There is a Cydia flash available...but I don't think that counts...
huskiesgoaler34

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:14 pm   Post subject: Re: Why Java sucks

mirhagk, please post the chart. It seems to be very interesting.

By the way, I am starting to learn the basics of Java and it doesn't seem that bad, but yet again, I'm still on the basics Very Happy
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:29 pm   Post subject: Re: Why Java sucks

Lang Total AC PE WA CE RE TL ML OL RF
C 451447 31.9% 6.7% 35.4% 8.6% 9.1% 6.2% 0.4% 1.1% 0.6%
C++ 639565 28.9% 6.3% 36.8% 9.6% 9.0% 7.1% 0.6% 1.0% 0.7%
Java 16373 17.9% 3.6% 36.2% 29.8% 0.5% 8.5% 1.0% 0.5% 2.0%
Pascal 149408 27.8% 5.5% 41.8% 10.1% 6.2% 7.2% 0.4% 0.4% 0.5%
All 1256793 29.7% 6.3% 36.9% 9.6% 8.6% 6.8% 0.5% 1.0% 0.6%

EDIT: sorry tabs don't work lol.

Here's a screencapture

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
huskiesgoaler34

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:53 pm   Post subject: Re: Why Java sucks

Thanks!
102jon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 am   Post subject: Re: Why Java sucks

So you mean pascal, not python.
   Index -> Java
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 13 of 16  [ 228 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: