Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Shoes Help:
Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:48 pm   Post subject: Shoes Help:

So I've been learning ruby, and now getting into shoes. I'm just wondering if the ruby help forums would be the correct spot to ask questions about shoes since it does use ruby type code, since i cant find a dedicated "shoes" help forum. Unless directed otherwise, maybe its fine here? just wanted to ask before the questions come.... thanks! (p.s. if its the right spot, any ruby related GUI/gem/etc questions good to post here?)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Shoes Help:

Around here, this is probably the best place to post. Although personally I have not had much experience with Shoes, so will likely not be able to help with Shoes-specific questions.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Shoes Help:

Well another random question i have is, Is it possible to create my own application windows with RUBY? because in turing i made alot of custom class's to use as the structure of the programming language, and im sure i could set the basics of lines and dots and box's with ruby to draw onto this application window.

i'm not sure where to start about it. ideas tony?

shoes kinda ugly looking and imo, is more application uses web/charts/grids/etc.
Sur_real

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Shoes Help:

I don't know much about ruby but I think Lifehacker did a recent article on it http://lifehacker.com/5719091/hackety-hack-teaches-ruby-programming-to-aspiring-beginners-for-free where they talked about Hackety Hack (http://hackety-hack.com/)

I don't know, maybe you try there as a start
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Shoes Help:

I don't really have many ideas. I've been using Ruby for command-line scripts and web-applications. Which is where its strength is.

You could also try Appcelerator Titanium to turn Ruby (or Python, JavaScript)/HTML/CSS web apps into native desktop (or mobile) apps. I haven't tried this either, although I've been meaning to for a while.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Shoes Help:

I hope its what i'm looking for, i want turings type platform for ruby's power. I got into this language for its power in OOP which "can" be used for games. i just need graphics with it, ill take a look into it tho tony, thanks.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:13 am   Post subject: RE:Shoes Help:

I been playing in Shoes for a bit, I don't like it. Any other recommendations or ...am i stuck with it for graphical things in ruby.

or maybe is there another language "like ruby" (as in pure OOP/ straight to the point type coding, that supports the use of a GUI (like turing) so i can get right into apps and stuff.

I never tried rails or web apps, but would i beable to make games on those things?! I figured it would be more charty type a dealeo..
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:37 am   Post subject: RE:Shoes Help:

What kind of games are you looking to make? In most cases you'd need to pick up on a bunch of JavaScript for client-side.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:32 pm   Post subject: RE:Shoes Help:

to start could be just the basic one player games.

pong/worms/graphical little RPG, then get into a basic 2player over net game, perhaps 2 player pong, etc.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Shoes Help:

So you want the games to run client-side. Rails is for server-side web applications.

I've looked some more into Titanium. You can run Ruby code that's glued with JavaScript for all the rendering (and input) and a custom API for UI.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Shoes Help:

javascript and ruby can be mixed up?
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Shoes Help:

This is the example I've seen
http://developer.appcelerator.com/doc/desktop/ruby
code:

<script type="text/ruby">
  def my_ruby_function(l)
    n = 0
    l.each { |i| n+=i }
    return n
  end
</script>

<script>
  alert(my_ruby_function([1, 2, 3, 4]));
</script>

Titanium uses something called Kroll to build the bridge between the two languages (object translation and message passing). As far as I can tell, it might be their own thing.
   Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: