Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 USING sprites in turing
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Boarder16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:48 pm   Post subject: USING sprites in turing

hey is there any edition of turing that allows you to use sprites..our school edition won't let us and its the latest updated one... it is 4 my game which i am also having trouble with.. i have a 1st process that draws teh map pic, the n the new characters position.. so you don't see teh old characters pic every tiem it moves..and i have teh smae thing for the enemy..but in a SEPERATE process...so if opnes moving it is erasing the other pic..because it reloads the map over it... so is tehre a way that i can make it so it dosen't erase teh otehr character without havign to redraw only certain parts of teh map.. cause i realize i could just make it draw a square over the old character postion..but it woudl take alot of code and time to program that...is tehre an easier way??
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

no, sprites only worked in turing 3.something-or-other, not in 4. but that's fine, because with the latest version of turing and View.Update sprites are pretty much useless. drawing with processes eh? check out the tutorial section and find one about something called the 'drawcheck' procedure. it's really easy to draw with processes and not have any flickering. but apparently it's not good programming to use processes, catalyst doesn't like that. so i'm just letting you know, it's up to you, but every time you fork a process it's like taking a bite out of catalyst's soul Crying or Very sad
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

processes are horrible Confused The only justification for having them is to use with background music.

check out the order in which your pictures are drawn
code:

process p1
loop
put "1"
end loop
end p1

process p2
loop
put "2"
end loop
end p2

fork p1
fork p2

notice how 1s and 2s appear RANDOMLY, and NOT in order Rolling Eyes
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well..if you do it the lazy way, you dont specifically use sprites. Just create an image of a sprite (character/hero), and make a variable for its (x,y) values. Then, [if chars(KEY_UP_ARROW) then....y:=y+1] This makes the character move up..I hope this helps
Boarder16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

no, but thankls dan shadow....i already knew that lol, that is whats in the process!!!!@! lol i laready got the moving thing down pat.. its jsut both process redraw the game map to erase the the old picture of the character...where it was b4 it weas moved...thus if i have 2 processes doing this...when one character moves..it erases teh oteher, thus one character is always erased while one of them is moving... bt my tacher talked to the creater of turing and his aptch for sprites to run in turing 4.06(new edition) will be out soon, i hope 4b i have to hand my game in.. and i posted my halloweenscene in teh submissions..cehck it out......GIVE ME BITS Laughing
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: