Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Dwite 2010-2011
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

@bbqchps- You can access your latest submission for any of the 5 questions on dwite.org.

@Helldemon30- Basically the question required you to count the number of triangles whose vertices were made of the given points that strictly included the origin.

@kkskeshava- If the problem you are having is speicific to Java code, I suggest asking your question at the Java forum (there are lots of pro people there Razz)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bbqchps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:02 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

A.J @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:54 pm wrote:
@bbqchps- You can access your latest submission for any of the 5 questions on dwite.org.

Are you sure? Because for my second submission, it actually scored less, because of the time bonus. So doesn't it just show my first submission?
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice that your second submission got a lower score. Well, in that case, right click on the question whose submission you want to look at, right click it and copy the link location. Then, when you paste it, you'll notice that before the file name of your program there's a '/0/'. Change this to a 1 (i.e. '/1'), and that should return your second submission.
bbqchps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Okay so now, how did I get 1/5?
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

I'll take a look at it. In the future, for personal inquiries, PM me and I'll help you out (so, your team name, Q#, etc...). Because if everyone started talking about their errors here, then it would just be bad Razz (I mean, I used to do this when I was a competitor too Laughing).
kkskeshava

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:53 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

ProgrammingFun @ Wed 27 Oct, 2010 18:52 wrote:
A.J @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 pm wrote:
I'll probably start making threads detailing the solutions for each question after each contest.
Yes please...

I was under the impression that this contest might have been a bit on the easier side. Seeing as quite a few teams got >= 4 questions right, this might be true. What do you guys think?

It was my first time doing DWITE, my school and I both epically failed. Mr. Green
dont worry it was my first time in DWITE, and also my first time actually using a programming program, so i failed pretty bad too.
Shanethe13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:00 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Also, if there are enough people wanting solutions to DWITE questions after each contest, I'll probably start making threads detailing the solutions for each question after each contest.

Yes please! That would be amazing.

I was under the impression that this contest might have been a bit on the easier side. Seeing as quite a few teams got >= 4 questions right, this might be true. What do you guys think?

I thought the questions were nicely made. My school had five teams (as opposed to one last year!), and everyone seemed to have had a great time. The team of beginner programmers was able to get one question right easily, with everyone else getting at least two. Only two teams really understand what was going on in question #4, but that is typically the case from what I've seen.
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

I guess the only person you should comparing yourself with on these contests is yourself. Seeing as this was the first contest, you have set a benchmark for you to cross on the next one. Its a learning experience, so I encourage you to take a look at other teams' solutions if you haven't solved a question, and continue thinking about the problems just to learn something new.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Shanethe13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:07 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

A.J @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:02 pm wrote:
I guess the only person you should comparing yourself with on these contests is yourself. Seeing as this was the first contest, you have set a benchmark for you to cross on the next one. Its a learning experience, so I encourage you to take a look at other teams' solutions if you haven't solved a question, and continue thinking about the problems just to learn something new.

And I will be. These contests are great that way; the stuff we do in class in unbearably basic, and DWITE and the CCC are a nice challenge. Seems like my biggest goal should be familiarizing myself with the different algorithms for things like pathfinding and graph theory. Given access to the internet those problems aren't too difficult, but off the top of my head I usually implement an algorithm wrong somewhere.
kkskeshava

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:09 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

A.J @ Wed 27 Oct, 2010 20:02 wrote:
yup and i thank you for letting us be a part of this learning experiance, now i will have 4 more questions(that i didnt solve) to figure out for the next little while(like 2 weeks lol) i am still learning basic statements for turing, but i will get the hang of it soon tho i hope
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

@Shanethe13- Yes, therein lies the challenge.
@kkskeshava- No problem, the credit goes to Dan and Tony for having kept with this for years.
SS1389

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:44 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2010-2011

Just curious, how are the questions for Dwite created and thought of?
A.J

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Well, the process in which I come up with questions is a bit random. I usually think of concepts that I think are nice to know, and then I think whether it is of an appropriate level for the contest. Whether a concept is 'nice' or not is based on my experience of writing contests.
SS1389

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:24 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2010-2011

That's a good way to make questions Smile
A.J

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

I suppose. A majority of the questions I come up with, however, I keep in reserve for other contests. Though the occasional question I propose for DWITE.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 4  [ 57 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: