Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Small antispam update
Index -> Network News
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:29 am   Post subject: Small antispam update

I have made a small update to the code for the registration page and posting page to help stop spam bots.

If you get any errors saying something about you being a bot, let me know via dan@compsci.ca.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mother teresa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:40 am   Post subject: RE:Small antispam update

you got it
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:04 am   Post subject: RE:Small antispam update

Will do.
rdrake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 pm   Post subject: Re: Small antispam update

I'm not convinced it worked. I just had to delete a dozen or so spam posts in OT.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:07 pm   Post subject: Re: Small antispam update

rdrake @ 12th February 2010, 12:29 pm wrote:
I'm not convinced it worked. I just had to delete a dozen or so spam posts in OT.

I'm not convinced there bots now, that or the bots acuataly navigate threw each page like a person would and can do captchas.

Edit: For example the last spammer was on the site for over 16 minuets and had 79 page hits to make there spam posts.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Small antispam update

I don't imagine there's too much we can do about human spammers.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Small antispam update

I have just added a new feature to the report function which will hide a topic and flag it for review if enough users report it.

Obviously abuse of this new feature will lead to your acount being banned, so don't report topics just to remove a post you disagree with.

Edit: All posted links will also have rel="nofollow" added to them to discourage PR related spam.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:47 pm   Post subject: RE:Small antispam update

What's that do? PR related spam?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:22 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Small antispam update

insectoid @ Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:47 pm wrote:
What's that do? PR related spam?
That's the idea. Even if they still do it it won't benefit them in any way.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Small antispam update

I was asking what rel="nofollow" does and what PR related spam is.
rdrake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Small antispam update

It stops spiders from following those links. This reduces the grow in page rank of the links posted by spammers.
BigBear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Small antispam update

How do you get past Capatcha? I don't want a script or program I just want to know the theory behind it.

Does it screen shot the screen and try to solve the word?
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Small antispam update

You could also ban sites such as 10minutemail.com or mail.com giving artificial emails to register bots and require real email addresses instead.

If someone turns out to be a bot or spammer, you could then ban that email from registering new accounts (or ban multiple accounts on 1 email in the first place).

Just thinking....I don't know if you have already implemented this tho.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:50 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Small antispam update

BigBear @ Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:00 pm wrote:
Does it screen shot the screen and try to solve the word?

Send the captcha elsewhere. There are a lot of people willing to solve captchas all day long for _very cheap_
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:53 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Small antispam update

ProgrammingFun @ Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:48 pm wrote:
or ban multiple accounts on 1 email in the first place

That is typically the case. A lot of places use email as the primary user id, so those are forced to be unique.

But getting a new email address is virtually free and trivially automated.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Network News
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: