Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Turing
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
HKYPLAYA4LIFE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:24 am   Post subject: Turing

Hey everyone, Im new here, obviously. I stumbled across the site and found it very interesting and had really good potential. Now on to my question. Im looking for some advice here. I have began TIK20 (Grade 10 computer science) and we have been doing turing so far all year. I am a desemestered school so we have every class all year. So its been about 3 months of that class and I feel like I have hardly learned a thing. My teacher knows nothing, he just gives us the book and makes us answer questions from the text. I feel like I know nothing whatsoever, but I have a 90 and am head of the class. I am finding this very frustrating. I just put turing on my home computer today and was looking for somewhere to find some help and it seems like I have come to the right place. I mainly wanted to vent some frustration and try to get some help at the same time. For the class I dont need to know anything more to excel but I would like to learn more for myself. So far my teacher has been talking about a bouncing ball program that he seems to think of as something amazing and he has been talking about it since the start of the year and has told us he`ll teach it to us when he thinks we are ready. I had a stretch of three weeks where I did nothing whatsoever in the class because I had to wait for everyone else to catch up before he allowed me to go on. I feel he is holding me back, and now I would like to try to do the best I can on my own. Thank you for listening. Now, I have very little knowledge, especially compared to you people, but would like some help on making a pong program or getting a pong program to see how it is made so I can start to progress. Thank you very much.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
poly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well the bouncing ball is part of a pong game. If you search around the Turing Submission and Source Code forums youll find some pong games. and i think in the tutorial forum there is a guides on helping you make(shows) well TONS of things
HKYPLAYA4LIFE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thank you. I will have to check that out. I am just orienting myself with the site right now, and hadnt seen those things. Ill be sure to check them out.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

you defenatly have come to the right place and you'll fit right in Very Happy

your teacher must be on crack to hold you back... I donno why anyone would do something like that. Assuming you have all your work done, why not just play around with turing on your own Laughing

Anyways, read some tutorials to get ahead if you're interested. Look at some submisions to get ideas for projects. W/e.

- Welcome to CompSci 8)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well that is the problem with compsci in most schools. they dont have teachers that realy know much about what they are doing, alougth there are some good ones out there, and the is not a lot of funding for compsci class. you should fell lucky that you have one, alot of schoolse are starting to cansle them and are slow fazing them out.

anyhow, this is why this site was started. to help the poor students in compsci class that are scerurly lacking.

there a quite a few totrials and progames for turing on this site and lots of helpfull poleop to help you out if you have any questions. if you have any questions about anything on the site or anything about progaming fell free to ask, thats why we are here Wink
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
HKYPLAYA4LIFE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks guys, you make me feel welcome, and I found some interesting programs I want to look more into. Theres a few people I noticed from Windsor on here, thats like 20 minutes away. Nice to know there are others so local.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

here is a tip, invite ur teacher to the site, he'll learn a thing or two or maybe a couple of hundred things...
O, for the bouncing ball program, draw a boarder outside of the screen and use whatdotcolor"¦
HKYPLAYA4LIFE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright I quickly made a outline of what Im looking to do. I can`t figure out why my paddle and ball are "blinking" so much, because when they do my ball goes right through the paddle and I dont know why. If I could get a little assistence before I continue I would appreciate it. Thank you.

code:
  setscreen ( "graphics" )
 var a,b,button: int       
 var x, y : int := 0
        var dx, dy : int := 3
        colourback (black)
        cls
        loop
        cls
        delay(10)   
        mousewhere (a,b,button)
               drawfillbox (a-10,b+5,a+10,b-5, white)

if whatdotcolor ( x, y ) not= black then
        dx:=-dx
      end if
      delay (10)

drawfilloval ( x, y,5,5,white)
            x := x + dx
            y := y + dy
            if x = 0 or x = maxx then
                dx := -dx
            end if
            if y = 0 or y = maxy then
                dy := -dy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i had this nice thing typed up but turing crashed my comp so i will just post how to fix your code:

code:

setscreen ("graphics")
View.Set("offscreenonly")

var a, b, button : int
var x, y : int := 0
var dx, dy : int := 3
colourback (black)
cls
loop
    cls
    delay (10)
    mousewhere (a, b, button)
    drawfillbox (a - 10, b + 5, a + 10, b - 5, white)

delay (10)

if x > a  - 10 and x < a + 10 and y > b - 5 and y < b + 5  then
        dx :=-dx
    end if

drawfilloval (x, y, 5, 5, white)
    x := x + dx
    y := y + dy

if x = 0 or x = maxx then
        dx := -dx
    end if
    if y = 0 or y = maxy then
        dy := -dy
    end if
    View.Update
end loop

1st i got ride of whatdotcolor crap b/c it realy is not good in this situation, now that fixs the ball not buncing but it will still flash so i added the View comands to fix that.

the view.set("offscreen") makes it so it dose not draw dritry to the screen but rather to the memory, then view.update takes that fromt the memory and puts it on to the screen, this stops that messed up falshing for ya.

tecahly you could put the wathdotcolor back, but i whould be agested it. it may not wrok on all meashines b/c it will not wrok when it flash or if the color is off for some reason, but my coltions dection will wrok even if you cant see the box Wink
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
HKYPLAYA4LIFE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks a lot Dan. Rather than just correcting it you helped teach me a couple things as well and I appreciate that.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Im only messaging to say Hi to the newcomer, we are both pretty much in the exact situation....and then we found CompSci.ca Very Happy
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

WTF????? DAN HOW DARE YOU CALL ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH WHATDOTCOLOR CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and whatdotcolor works for every situation man... lol
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: