Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Making a Tile Editor???
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Sunder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:19 am   Post subject: Making a Tile Editor???

I need some help on building a 2d tile editor. The game I'm building needs one, but i want it to be as flexible as possible, with the ability to add new tiles and tilesets later and saving them. The tiles should all be 64 X 64 pixel bitmaps, and the game on one resolution (1152 X 864), except for a few added things for later like rocks and such, hence the flexibiltiy. could somebody give some code, or insight Smile , on how to build the editor, not so much the graphical part or the saving to a file, but on the ability to add into a database and place the actual image file?

I'm thinking something like this off the top of my head, and saving the outcome to a file after.

var tilenum : string
var PicID: int
procedure addtile (name : string)
var name2 : string
name2 := name + ".bmp"
PicID := Pic.FileNew (name2)
var picsprite : int := Sprite.New (PicID)
Sprite.SetPosition (picsprite, 1, 1, false)
tilenum :=tilenum + 1
end addtile

addtile (grass)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i don't quite understand what you mean by editing tiles...

Do you want to make a drawing program to draw new tiles? Wouldn't it be easier to just use bitmap then instead?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sunder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:46 am   Post subject: a 2d Map editer

Well I want to build a 2d Map Editor to create various maps quickly. My problem is that to do that i need to make some sort of database to hold all the information for each bitmap, including things like pit of doom, water, etc., but that can be added later. The map editor can then be used to place the images into the proper points in a grid to assemble a map. This makes the level building processs much easier and faster, and many images can be broken up to build unique maps using the same images.

If you don't get what i mean, its simply a program to build the backrounds of grass, roads, water, etc. that you would see in a 2d Zelda game, and be able to interpert them into the game with name each peice manually.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:13 am   Post subject: here we go

i made a progame like you are discibing but less advcend and i dont know of it whode be combatle with your porgame. i have uplpaded the code and files and you can download it here .

how it wroks:

1st it was made to use tiles that are 26 by 27 but you may be able to edit it.

2nd it was made to make maps that are 22 tiles by 20 tiles

it is caplbive of saving tile sets or favs and to put tiles in it you most put the title in a bmp format in the tiles folder. also you shode not delte any of the titles that are in there now becuse it may mess stuff up. the name of the file shode be the next num then "newpic1.bmp". ie. "342newpic1.bmp". when you add tiles you will need to edit the inf file and incres the maxtile value. there will have to be a pic for every num from 1 to the value of maxtile.

also it was made for a screen reslotin of 800 by 600 so you will have to eidt that to if you whont to use it for your game.

if you need any more help post angen or you can get me on msn. if you use this with your game plz give dan.co some credit some where.

p.s. i inclued some maps and fav sets so you can see how they wrok.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: