Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Review: Ready to Program
Index -> Java
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
changturkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:18 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Review: Ready to Program

Aziz @ Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:43 pm wrote:
You're simply being warned about that, because the import hasn't been used (yet). Warnings can be ignored, but they're helpful to follow (sensibly).

I'd also recommend Eclipse. Once you get used to it, you'll never want to use it for anything else. I use it for Java, PHP, C++, Python, and Java ME.

I also really used to like JCreator, so much that I bought a Pro version, but it's only worthwhile if you get the Pro and it's only Windows (as well as being Java-only).

Thanks Aziz and Hellblazer. I am a Java newb, so ungh.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Raza

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:52 am   Post subject: RE:Review: Ready to Program

Could you be more specific about why HSA is the 'wrong way' of doing things in Java?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Review: Ready to Program

Just search for "HSA console" in the Java section, we've had lots of discussions about it in the past. Two big things are:

1. Standards exist for a reason. If you're ever asked to do Java on a computer that doesn't have the HSA classes installed, you'll have little idea of the 'normal' way of doing things. Also, more relevant to education.... If you're going to ask a question on, say, Sun's Java forums or even here on CompSci.ca, only the fraction of people with experience using those proprietary classes could help you.

2. From the little I've seen of the Console and such, it encourages procedural code over object oriented code. It seems like an attempt to make Java closer to Turing, however that kind of defeats the purpose of learning a new language.

Also, these classes use outdated methods because they haven't been updated in years and HoltSoft is out of business. The standard Java library now has much better ways of doing I/O and such, which leaves little excuse to use Console.
gaurdianAQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:09 pm   Post subject: Re: Review: Ready to Program

ya I'll admit this ready sucks but is required for the course Im taking Im wondering if there is a clear screen command or some way to do that similar in basic and turing to cls?????? a pm or reply works
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:38 pm   Post subject: RE:Review: Ready to Program

The idea of "clearing the screen" in a text output window is an inherently bad one. If you want this kind of control, you need to create an application with a graphical user interface.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Review: Ready to Program

wtd is right: Either leave console output alone, or make a proper GUI application. If you go the GUI route in Java, skip the headaches of AWT / Swing and instead go straight to SWT. It's what Eclipse uses; it's the best GUI out there for Java, and one of the best in general.
A. Rav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:32 pm   Post subject: RE:Review: Ready to Program

Just curious, my class is using Ready, but after seeing this thread and noticing it's similarity to Turing, I want to switch to Eclipse. Will using eclipse on the side and ready in class cause me to become confused? Or are they similar enough to let me code in ready until I finish the course(s)?

Thanks in advance.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Review: Ready to Program

The big problem with RTP is that the class material typically relies on the use of RTP's libraries, which is not used in real-world Java.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
chunnn_li

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:03 pm   Post subject: Re: Review: Ready to Program

gaurdianAQ @ Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:09 pm wrote:
ya I'll admit this ready sucks but is required for the course Im taking Im wondering if there is a clear screen command or some way to do that similar in basic and turing to cls?????? a pm or reply works

I know this is really late, but I believe the method is just c.clear();
Just in case anyone else has the same problem.

DemonWasp wrote:

wtd is right: Either leave console output alone, or make a proper GUI application. If you go the GUI route in Java, skip the headaches of AWT / Swing and instead go straight to SWT. It's what Eclipse uses; it's the best GUI out there for Java, and one of the best in general.

Just wondering what makes SWT so much better? I've heard of it, but never really looked into it and I found swing to be pretty easy to learn, even if it's kinda bulky. Thanks
   Index -> Java
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 24 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: