Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 3d RPG Game in Progress
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
A.J

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:40 pm   Post subject: 3d RPG Game in Progress

Here is a 60% done game I am working on for my summative. Although I didn't add anything else but graphics (yes...I know CodeMonkey2000 that I didn't do anything at all for the last month or so Razz), I just wanted some opinions on it first.

Use arrowkeys to move the character (This is when the camera isn't free)
To free the camera, press 'f' (this idea is credited to CodeMonkey2000.....thanks for the idea Very Happy).
While the camera is free, use the mouse and 'w', 's', 'a' and 'd' to move the camera separately.

'z' is for shooting (with no bullets though Sad) and spacebar for jumping.

Any and all comments are welcome Very Happy

Game.zip
 Description:
Here it is!!!

Download
 Filename:  Game.zip
 Filesize:  3.07 MB
 Downloaded:  1466 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:47 pm   Post subject: Re: 3d RPG Game in Progress

Gangster! Cool

you should increase the far z plane in your perspective
Zren

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:53 am   Post subject: Re: 3d RPG Game in Progress

And move speed. ._.

Other wise it looks awesome.
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:35 pm   Post subject: RE:3d RPG Game in Progress

Nice job man. You have come a long way since the beginning. Are you close to being finished? All you really need is AI and bullets.
saltpro15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:35 pm   Post subject: RE:3d RPG Game in Progress

alright, if I drop by waterloo with Mr.Hughes on the 29th, you have to show me how you did this Very Happy, I'm getting into C++, Turing is way too limited
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:23 am   Post subject: Re: RE:3d RPG Game in Progress

saltpro15 @ Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:35 pm wrote:
alright, if I drop by waterloo with Mr.Hughes on the 29th, you have to show me how you did this Very Happy, I'm getting into C++, Turing is way too limited

very good choice. c++ is the most powerful Cool Very Happy
yanko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:07 am   Post subject: RE:3d RPG Game in Progress

Hey looks awesome, just one thing i seen it's kinda weird lol
when you run backwards it's actually running frontwards but moves backwards looks weird. not sure if you wanted that... oh and i am in to 3D if you need help... i use 3dsmax....

great job love it
A.J

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:46 am   Post subject: Re: 3d RPG Game in Progress

yanko wrote:

Hey looks awesome, just one thing i seen it's kinda weird lol
when you run backwards it's actually running frontwards but moves backwards looks weird. not sure if you wanted that... oh and i am in to 3D if you need help... i use 3dsmax....

great job love it

3dsmax? Is that a graphics Library for C++? I haven't heard of it.....is it any good?

I myself prefer OpenGL and SDL, but thats just me.....

saltpro15 wrote:

alright, if I drop by waterloo with Mr.Hughes on the 29th, you have to show me how you did this D, I'm getting into C++, Turing is way too limited

yup, that's the way to go Very Happy

I realized this when I started the USACO training pages (about 1 year ago), and since then I usually use C++ for contest coding (except for DWITE of course Very Happy)

Thanks for all the comments guys Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
yanko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:31 am   Post subject: RE:3d RPG Game in Progress

ohh my, lol it's a 3D modeling and animation tool(software),
nothing to do with c++ programing or 3D library.lol

creat a model and import it in the 3D engines, for games movies .......
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:36 pm   Post subject: RE:3d RPG Game in Progress

Make me wanna learn C++. Can you compile it for mac? I'm running in crossover, but I'd rather run directly on the OS. I agree, increase the Z view distance. How hard is it to use OpenGL? Is it C++ only? Or can I use it with Ruby? I really just want to learn stuff like this. Would be really cool. I think I'll do 3D in grade 12, using JMonkeyEngine. That would be sweet.

EDIT: You used MD2's! Sweet! Gonna put them into AssaultCube right now!
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:23 pm   Post subject: RE:3d RPG Game in Progress

OpenGL is just an API used for 3D rendering. It has bindings to many languages such as Ruby and C++. You first need to be comfortable with your language before going on to openGL. Having strong math skills helps too, and so does understanding vectors and planes. Though the problem with openGL is that it doesn't set up a window or events for you, you will need to use either SDL, GLUT or the windows API along with openGL to make anything.

Iirc DirectX can handle all the window and event stuff, and do the 3D rendering too. I have never used DirectX, but it's not cross platform (only works on windows)
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:36 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:3d RPG Game in Progress

yanko @ Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:31 am wrote:
ohh my, lol it's a 3D modeling and animation tool(software),
nothing to do with c++ programing or 3D library.lol

creat a model and import it in the 3D engines, for games movies .......

I would love some1 who could make 3d models from games Very Happy
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:00 pm   Post subject: RE:3d RPG Game in Progress

Can 3DsMax export to ms3d (milk shape)? I am looking into skeletal animation.
A.J

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:08 pm   Post subject: Re: 3d RPG Game in Progress

CodeMonkey2000 wrote:

for our game scripting engine?
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:20 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:3d RPG Game in Progress

CodeMonkey2000 @ Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:00 pm wrote:

no but you can save it as a .3ds and then import it into milkshape 3d and save it as ms3d
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: