Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Multiplayer games
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
hackman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:41 pm   Post subject: Multiplayer games

I was wondering if it is posible with turing to make a multiplayer game such as pong,chess,etc. that is played over the internet. Im not asking for the code or anything, just wanted to know if it was posible.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've heard many bad things about turing's net support (slow, loss of information, whatever) so I've never actually bothered to try using it. something turn based like chess seems reasonable, and maybe something as simple as pong, but if you want to make a more complex (real time) game with multiplayer support, turing probably wouldn't be your best choice.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

defenatly not in turing. I mean its possible to send strings over the net, but the process is not fast enough and not reliable enough for online gaming.

Now something like C++ or Java would work much better Very Happy
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah it can support games like chess or pong that dont need high bandwidth... as a matter of fact i've actually seen a multiplayer pong in turing!
krishon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

how fast did that go Laughing
hackman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ok, thanks for the answers.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if ur opening a connection in a process, and you want to stop it, how do u do it?
thoughtful

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:35 pm   Post subject: Multiplayer Pocket tanks

I dont really get what do you mean by that Open connection question, but
you can use the following command to close a connection.
code:

Net.CloseConnection (netStream)

Well, me are my friend are gonna start working on a multiplayer pocket tanks. After i finish my pool that is. But its true that turing "sucks" for over the net game. We tried to make a simple program which shows the position of a circle of the other computer. And that seemed to have data loss too!
I hope we wouldn't have too much data loss in our pocket tanks game
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

no see, you cant do that cuz stream wasnt declared a value yet, it waits until an connection is opened. i dont want to use quit cuz that gives u an error thing, is there anyother way?
thoughtful

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well your question was
Quote:

if ur opening a connection in a process, and you want to stop it, how do u do it?

First of all, are u sure it not in a "Procedure", because if its a process and you use "frok" to open a connection, it will keep opening it like a million times, either you want an if command inside the loop.
You can use a variable as a cheacker or jus do this
code:

process xxx
    if checker = 1 then
            return
    end if
    "your code for opening"
end xxx

when you wana stop the process
code:

checker :=1

return stops the process/procedure that it is in, dont call it in the main level of the program other wise your program will terminate.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that checker variable is also known as a flag or switch. They're usually boolean (true/false) and their values are switched and procedure checks to see if switch is in "on" position of if sertain flag is "raised" to prosead one way or another
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: