Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 web page
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
nastynika

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:54 am   Post subject: web page

i need to make a web page for my computer programming class that has 5 pages liked to it and different pages in the site itself but i have never done this before and my teacher doesnt know how to help so where do i start
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:18 am   Post subject: RE:web page

Here.
jernst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:35 am   Post subject: Re: web page

nastynika @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:54 am wrote:
i need to make a web page for my computer programming class that has 5 pages liked to it and different pages in the site itself but i have never done this before and my teacher doesnt know how to help so where do i start

jeez the teacher cant even help with html, and people are suprised that kids dont want to get into comp sci these days.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:35 pm   Post subject: RE:web page

It is some what sad that they are doing HTML in a programming class. Althought HTML is called a langue it is not on it's own a programming langue and has no programming conspects involed in making it unless you start adding things like client side scripting.

In any case you want to look in to hyper links and the a tag.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
OneOffDriveByPoster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:56 pm   Post subject: Re: web page

I disagree that there are no programming concepts involved in HTML. HTML elements have properties much like OOP objects have properties. Adding scripting or use of DOM only makes it more obvious that you can manipulate these properties. Using correct syntax, etc. is also something that HTML could be used to teach. What is unfortunate with HTML is that browsers are too lax. It is much like having a compiler that just guesses at what you want and does not tell you what is wrong.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:20 pm   Post subject: Re: web page

OneOffDriveByPoster @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:56 pm wrote:
Adding scripting or use of DOM only makes it more obvious that you can manipulate these properties.

That would be JavaScript, not (X)HTML. The latter is a Markup Language - a static document much like XML or this particular forum post I've just made.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jernst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:34 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:web page

Dan @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:35 pm wrote:
It is some what sad that they are doing HTML in a programming class. Althought HTML is called a langue it is not on it's own a programming langue and has no programming conspects involed in making it unless you start adding things like client side scripting.

I agree it is sad that html is in a programming class but its even more sad that the teacher cant even mange to teach it
OneOffDriveByPoster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:25 pm   Post subject: Re: web page

Tony @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:20 pm wrote:
OneOffDriveByPoster @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:56 pm wrote:
Adding scripting or use of DOM only makes it more obvious that you can manipulate these properties.

That would be JavaScript, not (X)HTML. The latter is a Markup Language - a static document much like XML or this particular forum post I've just made.

What I said was that the element properties are inherit to (X)HTML. I did not say that the scripting and manipulation was.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:52 pm   Post subject: RE:web page

Vector graphics in Adobe Illustrator also have properties similar to DOM. Where do you draw the line? Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 pm   Post subject: Re: web page

Are you sure this is a programming class? What is the course code?

As an aside, I don't think it's all bad to do HTML in programming class. A question from one of my python assignments:
Quote:
The glob module has one very useful function, also called glob (I know, computer scientists are horrible for naming things.) glob returns a list of files that match a specified pattern. For Example:

import glob

pics = glob.glob("*.jpg")
pics will become a list of all the files in the current directory that end in jpg.
Create a program that creates an HTML file to display all of the jpg files in the current directory. Your HTML must create a table with two columns, every odd row will contain two picture names, and every even row will contain a picture with height = 360 and width=480. Take a look at the Webmonkey cheatsheet for help with the HTML tags. save as fileAssign4.py (5 marks)

It could be that they are not covering HTML as a unit but rather as some sort of side issue (yes, I know it's a stretch)
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:55 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:web page

jernst @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:34 pm wrote:
Dan @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:35 pm wrote:

I agree it is sad that html is in a programming class but its even more sad that the teacher cant even mange to teach it

What's there to teach? Just use a HTML reference page and there you go. You don't have to worry about logic that much. There really isn't much to HTML.
md

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:37 pm   Post subject: RE:web page

Teaching (x)html isn't hard. Teaching people how to write effective (x)html IS hard. Teaching people how to write effective, accessible, and usable interfaces in (x)html is extremely difficult.

It's just a markup language, but that doesn't make it simple. On the other hand... it's possibly easier to grasp the basics of (x)html many languages.
nastynika

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:06 am   Post subject: Re: web page

McKenzie @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 pm wrote:
Are you sure this is a programming class? What is the course code?

As an aside, I don't think it's all bad to do HTML in programming class. A question from one of my python assignments:
Quote:
The glob module has one very useful function, also called glob (I know, computer scientists are horrible for naming things.) glob returns a list of files that match a specified pattern. For Example:

import glob

pics = glob.glob("*.jpg")
pics will become a list of all the files in the current directory that end in jpg.
Create a program that creates an HTML file to display all of the jpg files in the current directory. Your HTML must create a table with two columns, every odd row will contain two picture names, and every even row will contain a picture with height = 360 and width=480. Take a look at the Webmonkey cheatsheet for help with the HTML tags. save as fileAssign4.py (5 marks)

It could be that they are not covering HTML as a unit but rather as some sort of side issue (yes, I know it's a stretch)

the course code is ICS 4M and we are doing a whole unit on HTML unfortunately I have bneveer learned do to do it and my teacher doesnt know any thing about it too help
Civik

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:15 pm   Post subject: RE:web page

Your in ICS 4M.. and only doing HTMl?! I did html in TIK20 and a tiny bit in ICS 3M.. but 4M?! Thats ridiculous, we did turing and have moved on to java.
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: