Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Project Idea - possible???
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
poly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:58 pm   Post subject: Project Idea - possible???

Ok awhile back somebody posted code for a raycasting thing. It was with like mario and Princess, and you walked around, the walls were brick patterned, anyway would it be possible to make like a gta3/vice city style game with that, like maybe a 3rd person shooter??? I was gonna actually figure out how to do that kind of stuff, but i dont really understand it (know any tutorials on it, raycasting, please post it), anywho I was looking for a summer project to improve my skills, for next years class, so i can blow everyone away...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:08 pm   Post subject: Re: Project Idea - possible???

poly wrote:
Ok awhile back somebody posted code for a raycasting thing. It was with like mario and Princess, and you walked around, the walls were brick patterned, anyway would it be possible to make like a gta3/vice city style game with that, like maybe a 3rd person shooter??? I was gonna actually figure out how to do that kind of stuff, but i dont really understand it (know any tutorials on it, raycasting, please post it), anywho I was looking for a summer project to improve my skills, for next years class, so i can blow everyone away...

It's possible but it'll run so slow you'll want to cry and kill yourself. Turing sucks, if you want to push the limits, use C++ or C or Java or something.
poly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yes well now that i think of it, i would kill myself, but not cause it will run slow......

Well I had an idea for a game for my next years class... To do it like your a new music artist and your trying to get into the big leagues, but you have problems, like no money etc. You start from ur house and you like say walk around, it would be like a town, each part of town loading like a new level, so it wouldnt be that slow, but anyway, I was gonna have a little story mode, where you do some missions for a guy to get some cash and yadda yadda yadda (wow that was a long sentence)
poly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

after reading what I just wrote, that seems very unrelistic, and i dont feel like editting ti again cause i editted it like 3 times, but anyway

wouldnt loading different parts of the level with a few objects (cant say ppl, cause they probably wont look like ppl) roaming around keep it from slowing down
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:49 pm   Post subject: Re: Project Idea - possible???

UBC_Wiskatos wrote:
poly wrote:

It's possible but it'll run so slow you'll want to cry and kill yourself. Turing sucks, if you want to push the limits, use C++ or C or Java or something.
Actually the only reason it was slow was cuz i had to split the screen. The tutorial for raycasting is www.permadi.com.. enjoy.. and the source for the raycasting is in submissions or something..
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Pic.Scale is very slow, and that's how SilverSprite textured the walls with...

noticed he only used a brick wall picture to do that, now imagine texturing with different detailed picture to make the buildings, etc...it will be really really really slow...

check with SilverSprite if you have trouble, but he might be too lazy to answer Razz
poly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so is Pic.Scale the only thing i could use, if Pic.Scale is slower than what do I use.... my grade 10 class used turing the one with no pics etc, this year (grade 11) is the year we use Turing 4.something, so some is new to me, but i have figured tons out so far
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i reckon Pic.Scale is the only thing you can do to make it look as if perspective exists, what other function are there in turing that does that?

anyways, try to make a basic raycasting engine first, then improve by adding texturing, shooting and interactions, getting the basics stuff done first. Because to texture it isn't hard, but getting calculations done will sometimes be frustrating (remembering SilverSprite 3 days before our mid-term was due, we had a tough time figuring out what went wrong with the raycasting stuff, lol)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
poly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ya I was planning on doing the basics first, than improving it little by little, cause I have the rest of the summer and the first semister before my class starts so I got lots of times.....
Woah just read that tutorial for raycasting, well it did explain some things, but Im still a bit lost on the math part. I think with the one SilverSprite wrote (and whoever helped) I am going to fool around with that one and get the understanding of how to do it, before attempting to write my own
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There is a way around pic.scale. And it isnt hard, so i'm wondering why you guys havent thought of it. Just store all possible sizes of the pictures in arrays then call them. Of course thats 200*16 different pictures of the wall, which isnt too much. And then you should do the players etc..
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

BTW, if you change it from one window instead of two windows, you'll see an amazing improvement on speed.
poly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think I am going to use Pic.Scale until I get the hang of all the math etc that is envolved, than I will experiment with other things
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

there isnt a lot of math. everything is trivial
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if you have only one screen then using pic.scale doesnt make any difference.
poly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh okay, and well it is only going to be one screen, actually thinking of makin a doom style game. How does the program read the .map file though? Im guessing the 0's are open space while 1's are walls? and if that is so, is it easy to put objects like garbage cans etc in?? also have you finished this game?

I dled raycasting4.t zip one but when I run it I get some errors like:
'Width' is not in the export list for Pic, "Update" is not in the export list of 'View', 'Scale' is not in the export list for Pic, Key_Down_Arrow/Key_Up_Arrow etc has not been declared, I have Turing 4.01 how do i get past these errors? )I remember you or somebody else releasing a version (demo u could call it i guess) before and it worked.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: