Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A.I in turing
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
joebob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:51 am   Post subject: A.I in turing

For grade 11 I took turing programming, and as many of you probally know (asumming you all go to school), that at the end of the semester you have to submit a final project. These projects usually take alot of time so I've decided that I want to start it now.

For this project I want to make a turing program that can engage in a short conversation with a user, becomming smarter as the conversation progresses. I know similar programs have been made in other languages, but can a language like turing even do this?

If it can then please post any tips for programming A.I. Algorithms, code, or anything that will help.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ooo....tough one....

I know someone did that kind of thing for like their bachelor degree....

anyways, if you are still interested, then www.gameai.com is really good for this kind of stuff, whether be it fuzzy logic, neural network, or genetics programming.

anyways, just wish you good luck, it seems a bit complex for gr 11 though...
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

if I remember correctly, years ago there was one written in BASIC called something like Dr. Spatso or something like that

I don't think there would be any problems with writing it in Turing...
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if can be done with turing, but it wont be too interesting. Having a conversation with a computer can usually tell you that you are very lonely.

Laughing
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you should look into the subject of Turing Test (has NOTHING to do with turing programming language if case you're wondering).

its something like a contest where a bunch of money is awarded if a program can convince atleast some of the judges that they're talking to a person instead of machine in a chat.

ether way, its possible in turing to a sertain extend, but the project itself is still quite complicated and as AsianSensation pointed out, I wouldnt be surpriced if what you described could get a bachelor's degree.

There will be a bunch of logic required, interpreting sentances and generating the right responce from a HUGE database (hey, if all the program can say is "i was programmed in turing" then its not much of a conversation).

Heh, there's some AI bot on AIM (someone left their account on at school), although you could tell its an AI after about 5 lines. 5 more lines down and it admits to be the machine. And it doesnt take insults very well... Confused You gotta watch out for things like that.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wow if some one can make that on turing... damn... some one should make an instant messenging software and have the bot inhanced in it...
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
wow if some one can make that on turing... damn... some one should make an instant messenging software and have the bot inhanced in it...

give me a break.. its the easiest thing in the world..
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah... they's a bot for MSN (octopi is making a crazy one to interface with phpBB's database) and as I mentioned before AIM... I'm sure something like ICQ has it too, you just need to know what ports to watch and where to send the info.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The AIM servers are alot more complicated, If I can remember correctly they have a fair bit of encryption involved too.

If your interested, look for AIM protocol, or OSCAR protocol.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, AIM, and ICQ are now one, both are using the OSCAR protocol, which despite its ackronym is far from open. (Open System for Communication in Realtime). This was mainly changed a few years back to prevent msn users from contacting ICQ/AIM users. (remember that from the news?)

So AOL/AIM/ICQ is now garbage Razz. so is microsoft/msn, but its alot better, so if your making a bot, like I. Then I would shoot for MSN.

A few years ago, I made an AIM bot (might have been ICQ) that would talk to you, but it wasn't that great.

And right now I am programming a msn bot that as tony said, lets you do stuff with the php board. (currently mine, but it would work with any board.)
Right now, you can recive a msn message from the bot when theres a new topic, or when theres a PM waiting for you, you can also check the number of points you have(bits), read topics, and other stuff. I am still working on it, and hope to let you send PM's, and other stuff. But theres the whole problem of MSN not supporting bbcode...., so the messages are rather plain without it.(MSN doesn't support any text formatting.)
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

so how do u create these bots.. is there some kind of api i would need to use.. ur do i have to access some dlls.. or do i have to manually setup a connetion ot the server and communicate with it using the MSN protocol?
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You have to learn the protocol, and make a connection to the server.
msn servers are at:

messenger.hotmail.com on port 1863

to handle the logins you need to md5 your password, and a string they send you.

If your lucky someone has already done the coding for you.
Search for modules, or libarys for what ever programming language you use.

Edit:
If you know perl, theres a module, you have to look around, but its called
MSN.pm, its pretty easy to use, but you might need to modify it (HIGHLY), as I had to do, to make it any bit useful.

All version on the net have the wrong server used in them, and you need to specify the right one, which is mentioned above. The protocol used in it is also outdated, but it should work for a while.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

cool thx. learning the protocol is a pain. i'm not interested i that. i barely know how the http protocol works heh. but since the there is a pre-written library, that too in perl! ... will make life easier.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well lets say that this is a bad final project.

lets just look at the concepts behind this.

first of all, obviously the computer can't understand what user are saying (if you can make a program where it can actually do that, that is something that will make you a trillionare), so dont even think about computer learning.

what is left is basically create a big database -- the sentence the computer spits out has to make sense, so random grammar generation is out of question. what you would do is search for keywords in user's sentence, and just say something related to it. you can program for specific structures so you could understand it. so something like "my name is <name>". this maybe what you call computer learning -- in this case, you can store <name> and then use that in every other case. it has "learnt" the user's name. this is doable, but a lot of work. searching through the data base requires some techniques -- otherwise it would be too slow. a database of less than 200-300 is just useless.

if you want an example, try searching for Alice.
krishon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well...it'll be purty good if he can do it...i mean a teacher dusn't expect this of him
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I donno... you might want to go for graphics instead... teachers just love cool looking graphics. Like during the project for school, my teacher was obsesed over that other guy's DB loader cuz it had a nice looking bar...

although he did prefer mine better at the end (since I modified that loader to be 4 times as fast Laughing )
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: