Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 C++/Turing??
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
G-lant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:47 pm   Post subject: C++/Turing??

Im learning turing now but do u think it was wise to learn turing first or should I have of learned C++ first.(or maby, Java, or C-Sharp??)

Please post and help me out. ill learn the one u think I should next. Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

depends on how good you are at self teaching and reading , if you wanna start at the top then you can , its been done but you need dedication and you need to have a good bvackground with computers , so that what your doing sinks in , also with math aswell , turing is a really good stepping stone it really helped set my up fro BASIC, but its totally up to you and why is this thread in c++ submmissions
hq78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

personally i think you should start with Turing because it kinda warms you up for the programming environment and is the easiest language to learn i think
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Neither is especially well-suited for learning.

Turing:

• Is not free (legally)
  • Is not easy to get
  • Aside from this site, lacks any decent free reference material or support
  • Is not cross-platform... if you want to communicate to fellow programmers using Mac OS X or Linux, you're out of luck
  • Is proprietary... you have to trust Holt software to make improvements or fix bugs

C++

• Features a large and complex syntax
  • Has a huge community, but many C++ programmers are not very good, so advice is often misleading
  • requires compilation, slowing down development and testing
  • Is often confused with C, preventing teaching of modern C++ techniques
tupac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i agree with wtd, neither is good for learning. but if u like 2 read the help files turing provides, turing is a good start to entering the programming world. if ure not the kind of person that reads help files and seaches for help on the web (aside from this site) then turing is NOT a language for you. i think that the best language to start off with is the classic "turbo pascal" -- ITS FREE!, or even Visual Basic is a nice choice! BTW -- I LUV VB.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:14 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I hope you realize that this post is an year old, and what you just wrote will never be seen by the author
Prince Pwn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:21 pm   Post subject: Re: C++/Turing??

Wow not many people post in this thread o.O
I like Turing because it has built in graphics which makes it quicker to make a game.
I like C++ but you can't use graphics (other than dos stick figures)
md

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm   Post subject: RE:C++/Turing??

Graphics are as much a hinderance for Turing as a boon. Writing games is a poor way of teaching programming.

And you can easily do graphics work with C++, you simply need to use the appropriate libraries. Is it as simple as Turing? No way. Is it worse? Of course not! If you're using C/C++ it's not a stretch to expect you to know how to use libraries.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:56 am   Post subject: RE:C++/Turing??

Fortunately you don't need graphics to make a good game. You do however, need a very good imagination and need to think "outside-the-box" if you want to make anything the least bit entertaining using only text. Text-based games are a great way to learn a new language without being frustrated with new graphics APIs.
Null

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:20 pm   Post subject: RE:C++/Turing??

There's a lot of hype around people my age around C++. It's considered "leet".

Ignore it.
BenLi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:45 pm   Post subject: Re: C++/Turing??

i think the main reason such a simple graphics library is attractive is because those new to programming will see instant gratification. This encourages beginner because they can "make cool stuff"
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy @ Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:14 am wrote:
I hope you realize that this post is an year old, and what you just wrote will never be seen by the author

Prince Pwn wrote:
Wow not many people post in this thread o.O

Are you... oh, fuck it.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: