Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [CCC]Introdusing CCC
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:56 pm   Post subject: [CCC]Introdusing CCC

CCC - Canadian Computer Competition

Hosted annually by university of Waterloo. Open for any highschool student in Canada. Have a chat with your computer science teacher and make him regester you for the event. Regestration fee is $5 per contestant. My school pays for that Very Happy

It is hosted each year in Febuary. This year its on Febuary 25th. Thats a Tuesday if it helps.

Anyway, there're 2 groups in which you can compeat. Junior and Senior.

To be in Junior you must have 1 computer science credit at most at the time of writing. So you can be taking your 2nd comp-sci class WHILE writing the competition Wink You must also have not won this competition before (I donno what they mean by that...)

To be in Senior... well anyone else can do that (gotta be in highschool though). Well it's gonna be a tougher crowd as you'll have all those people from grade 12. I sujest applying for Junior division if you're allowed.

There're also 2 stages to the test. Juniors can write only 1st stage.

Stage 1 is held in your school and is 3 hours long. You'd have to solve 5 problems in this time. Each problem is worth 15 marks. Note that problems are increasing in difficulty. Basically Problem1 is easy and Problem5 is hard. All worth the same, so ofcourse you should do as much as you can starting from the beginning.

Stage 2 is held at the university of waterloo. You chill there for couple of days and write a total of 6 problems in 2 days. I'm not sure on how long each day is.

To get into stage 2 you got to be one of top 15 people from stage 1. Though in 2002 about 25 people were invited to stage 2.

Results from stage 2 will de used to makeup Canadas International Olympic team (3 people I think). 2003 international computer competition will be held in Wisconsin, USA. Last year it was in Korea.

Some other things to know:
Juniors write problems 1-5
Seniors write problems 3-7
problems 3,4,5 overlap.

The questions are generally about
mathematical problems
programming
design/analysis of an algorithm

PROGRAMMING languages you can use:

You can use almost any language for Stage 1:
Pascal, Basic, Turing, C/C++. I've personally contacted u of w and they allowed the use of Visual Basic as well.

Stage 2 will be writen in Pascal and/or C/C++ only. (since its on their machines and all)

More then 1 language can be used.

If you have any questions, reply to this topic. If you got some really specific questions, you can e-mail U of Waterloo directly using this e-mail address: cmc@math.uwaterloo.ca
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hey we should post what place each of us got here...
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

24th on the junior
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

11th in senior stage 1, 8th in stage 2
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

37th in junior only 2 marks behind silversprite tho Mad
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

2 marks is a world of difference.. thats two cases you looked over.. your just lucky they only had one test case with what you overlooked.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ya stupid cases and stupid ur on square one hundred
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats ur fault.. noone elses so stop talking about it.. you just amke yourself sound even more stupid..
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Java is allowed in stage 2 now Very Happy
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
JAVA IS COOL
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My school only pays for the peopel that might actually make round 2 , i wish i was on that list , i did well on the junior one , but i suspect that the senior one is gonna be hell
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

your school is messed... only 20~25 people make it to stage 2. Half of them are from massey, lol Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
sport

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Writting the problems in Turing is hell, cause they have the 1000 string line of input which is more than Turing can handle (256 is maximum for a Turing string).
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that was a serious issue last year Confused Good thing I was using C++ Laughing
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Im not comfertable with another language yet im still learning BASIC , so unless teh senior cc this year is turing compstible im done
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 43 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: