Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [FP] Forces - done!
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What do you think?
(No ending time set)
Amazing
75%
 75%  [ 18 ]
Good
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Need improvement
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Horrible
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

Windsurfer

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:44 pm   Post subject: [FP] Forces - done!

DONE!

I call this game Forces.

I'm in grade 11 programming class, and I'm 17. This is my first semester with Turing. Last year i programmed in Pascal.

Game:
You are a small circle controlled by the mouse. You make sparkles to hurl at enemies that try to run and collide with you. I have 6 different and distict enemies. At the end of every "level" your health resets and the level resets, slightly harder (to a point). The style of the game is intentional (and i think really cool) Smile.
I made this for my summative project, and i must say i'm very happy about it. It's taken me about 2 or 3 weeks of coding.
It's completly procedure-based, i haven't learned anyhting about classes ect.
A computer with a 1 Gig processor is reccomended at the moment, though i will be adding preformance settings when i'm done.... Yeah, so it's not entirely finished, but i do believe the game is playable... people in my class do play it for the entire period, and I get yelled at by the teacher. Wink
Readme in the zip file, but quick rundown:
Kill the enemies with the sparkles you make by holding down the left mouse button. Right-Click to repel, Middle-Click to attract sparkles. The faster the sparkles, the more damage they do. You have 4 special "powers", press spacebar to use them, and B to switch. Note about the enemies: the giant hexagon repels your sparkles, and thee mini pentagon heals other enemies.
Enjoy Very Happy

Features list:
Bit-Blit fading effect, 2.5D star backround, scrolling world, cool particle physics, Coulombs Law charge equation for repulsion and attraction, random lightning, and it's really pretty to boot Razz

Bugs: Some bugs relating to collisions with sparkles, still... my suspision is pointing at my heuristics... but i'm not sure. You may not even notice with all the stuff flying around.

Edit: Bugs fixed, new mana "swirllies" and some of the game values were tweaked (4th power not so cheap, for one), among other things

Edit 2: Okay! New game mode, called nonstop (has some chasing glitches, still, but is defanitly playable) it's not a ton of fun, but it's different. New way of dealing with collisions with enemies, and many tweaks to gameplay.

Edit 3: Sorry about the downtime... (if anyone noticed Razz ) but now it's done. I submitted a 70 meg version to the teacher, complete with intro video and menu video (those took up about 55 megs) and 4 seperate sound tracks, making up the remainder. However, here i have the "low media" and "no media" versions... aka MIDI soundtracks and simple sounds and no videos. (the "no media" version, of course, doesn't even have those) SO yeah! it's done! full saving visual settings! full saving highscores! full saving current game! and automatic loading of all those too! and some gameplay tweaks... not to mention a tutorial mode. Tell me what you think!

Low Media Copy of Forces.zip
 Description:
This has MIDI files and soundtracks and sound effects, but still no videos or trailers.

Download
 Filename:  Low Media Copy of Forces.zip
 Filesize:  3 MB
 Downloaded:  1901 Time(s)

NO Media Copy of Forces.zip
 Description:
Nothing but a font and the game.

Download
 Filename:  NO Media Copy of Forces.zip
 Filesize:  421 KB
 Downloaded:  872 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beforelast

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow dude amazing.

i would give bits. but i only have 4 lol
NikG

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amazing!!
I was honestly hooked on it for about 15 minutes straight.

Some notes:
- I didn't really notice it getting harder at each new level. You mentioned that it gets "slightly" harder... perhaps make the chnge a little more noticeable
- Add a high score function
- That 4th secret weapon is cheap! (Very very cool, but cheap) Perhaps make it weaker or perhaps make the recharge time greater after using it
- What is the middle click for? (as in what do you need to attract sparkles for?)

Great job!

+25 bits

edit: oh ya, although sparkles fits, I think I prefer "Forces" as the name.
Windsurfer

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay, now it defanitly gets harder every "level" (it also shows you what level you're on... made it to level 9! ), I made the 4th power not so cheap, made these little swirling bits of mana instead of the obscenly fast regen time, and added a "tips" section to the readme, telling you how useful the middle mouse button is, Razz among other things.
I love feedback! Thank you for yours!
NikG

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Damn! You've made it even better!
My eyes hurt after playing, probably because I refuse to blink while I'm playing.

-I love how now you can pick up energy from the objects you kill.
-It's definitely tougher! I haven't made it past level 6.
-I'd definitely like to play it with sound.

Another 25 bits.

(wow... you've collected more bits than me with only 5 or so posts...)
Clayton

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow, could you post or PM the code after you get that marked plz, i would love to look at how you did that work
Shyfire

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

good job man excellent game here take 50 bits
Mystique

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wicked game!!!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

OK, let's take a look here. You've made a total of 4 posts here, all of which were about your game. I've sent a message to the administrators to have you banned until you've written some tutorials. I'd ban you myself but I'm not supposed to have that power, and it'd raise some uncomfortable questions. Straighten up, or you're gone.

And well done. You've really achieved some amazing effects with Turing. Keep it up.
Mr. T

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:43 pm   Post subject: Alex's Opinion

I can't see the link / file to download? Confused
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Read his edits, he made a new game and took this one down... Though I don't know why. This game seemed quite good, even when it was running at ~5fps on my 500MHz computer. You can keep both games up, and only the last submitted game will be counted for the contest.
Windsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:29 am   Post subject: Re: Alex's Opinion

Mr. T wrote:
I can't see the link / file to download? Confused

Yeah, sorry about that...it was deleted, but that was only for two hours, because I had to PM a mod for extra space. :S

But, i think the new upload is worth it, i think the music is very good (music only works in the normal mode, at the moment, which is just as well, since i don't like the new mode, but i'd like to hear what people think).
NikG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

New mode isn't bad, but a little easy. You can just coast using the 2nd or 4th superpower. I made it to level 25 in much less time that I made it to level 10 in the normal version.
Speaking of the normal version. the music is awesome, and I experienced no slowdown (though I am using a p4 3ghz).

Here's an idea, in the later levels, why not introduce a new baddie that can shoot back at you...
(since the gameplay is so fast, I'm not sure if your game already has this)
blaster009

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Know what annoys me? When people vote "horrible" on a program that clearly deserves better.
Windsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

blaster009 wrote:
Know what annoys me? When people vote "horrible" on a program that clearly deserves better.

Thank you, and I agree! (assuming, of course, you're reffering to this program...) but yeah!

I'm about to rap up this program (it's due in a little less than 2 weeks) so I'll be posting aalll the source code (it's properly commented and everything already Smile) when it is finished being marked.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 32 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: