Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Embedding Turing in a webpage?
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Token

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:20 am   Post subject: Embedding Turing in a webpage?

Well today I saw this topic, Embedding Turing files in startup and It gave me the idea, what if we could embed turing files into a webpage, it would have so many great uses. I know you are all going to say just learn Java/Javascript, which I slowly am. But if somone wanted a challenge that would be very cool to do, a online instance of turing. Let me know what you guys think and who would be willing to give it a shot.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think before someone did that, they would first make a version of Turing from the ground up, but better Razz.
Online, it would have to be based on something, like php, Javascript, or one of the other multitude of programming languages. For something like Javascript, it is already fairly similar, and not too many people would want to do that since the scripting language itself is better.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you mean getting Turing executable to run as CGI? Confused
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think he means more of making "TuringScript" Laughing
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Turing is not a scripting language though - it must be compiled.

I don't see any advantage of having a "TuringScript" Laughing
Token

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Meh, it was just a thaught, but ya I guess I was thinking of a TuringScript type deal, because it would be kinda cool to put some of the stuff I made online without making people download .exe's which a lot of people are weary of.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If I may, I believe the original poster is referring to Java applets, and wanting to implement something similar in Turing.

Don't hold your breath.

Yes Java sucks, but it's marginally better than Turing, and quite a bit better equipped for such a task.
Token

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
If I may

No you may not! Laughing

and that is exactly what I meant.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How about changing this around to make an open-source Turing? With higher OOP capabilities, etc.? This could solve a lot of the problems with Turing currently, and students wouldn't have to learn everything from the ground up.

Quote:
Yes Java sucks, but it's marginally better than Turing

Laughing
Token

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that would be good, who would want to take on a project like that? i dont know any languages to do it in.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How about Java Wink hehehe...

C/C++? Since it might? have to be fairly low-level. Could Ruby do this? Nonetheless, 'big' projects do seem to be hard to get anything done - still, it's worth the thought.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ruby + Rails + RMagick + AJAX

I suppose you one could build an applet-like interpreter... Thinking
md

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I might be intereested in doing it in C/C++ (or halping to do it...), but I think it'd have to be turing stripped of all graphics routines at first... graphics are nice and all... but they are needless complications. I do think an open source turing interpreter would be cool though...
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
I do think an open source turing interpreter would be cool though...

Why precisely would you want Turing?

What about the language is especially appealing?

By which I mean, if you're going to go to that level of trouble, what makes Turing worthy of reimplementing?
md

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Why, to say I did it of course! Need I have any other reason? It's stupendously useless, and this is a perfect canidate for a time wasting project!

Actually it'd be kinda fun because I've never written an interpreter before... virtual machines yes... but it's just not hte same.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: