Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 RPG Code optimizing and Save feature help
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
LegendsEnd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:02 pm   Post subject: RPG Code optimizing and Save feature help

To begin with, the RPG i'm making goes back to the intro screen after a Game Over and while I have it working, it seems very...hard to keep track of, here's an example I just made. I dislike having that many loops as it begins to get confusing is there any other more efficient way?

code:

var blah, start : string
var key : string (1)
var GO : boolean
loop
    loop
        loop
            put "New Game"
            put "Continue"
            get start : *
            if start = "New Game" then
                exit
            elsif start = "Continue" then
                loop
                    put "You lose"
                end loop
            else
                put "Please enter New Game or Continue"
            end if
        end loop
        put "attack"
        put "run"
        loop
            get blah
            if blah = "attack" then
                put "You attack Bob for 10 damage."
                getch (key)
                cls
                put "Bob retaliates and hits you for 9999 damage."
                getch (key)
                cls
                put "Game Over"
                GO := true
                exit
            elsif blah = "run" then
                put "You run away"
                exit
            else
                put "please enter attack or run"
            end if
        end loop
        exit when GO = true
        put "Success! After running away you find the legendary shoe of destruction."
    end loop
end loop

I'm also having trouble figuring out the Save game code. Could someone post an example where someone can run a program, chose to save at a certain point and start with all the variables set at what they were and continue from the same location at the code? Thanks in advance and I appreciate the help.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1st off, use procedures, (proc for short)

proc Battle
post code
end battle

proc heal
post code
end heal

loop
Battle
heal
end loop

You want to have 1 main loop ONLY in your game, and atm im a lil busy to find your save feature tutoreal, but in a few i will
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

To avoid the problem of so many nested loops, you could try hiding using a boolean variable to hide your intro, or to hide the game screen when you're at the intro screen.

Alternatively, you could still have nested loops, just change the appearance of them. You have one main loop which calls several procedures. Those procedures could have loops within them, which could call procedures which have loops within them! But it becomes more managable if you layer things this way.

As for saving, you'll want to write the values of all the important data into files. It would be good if you knew records, and then you could easily use read and write
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm starting to think that any help thread with "RPG" should be banned. This is not the case in this topic, but often you get some huge code impossible to give help on. If you want to get help for your "RPG" then post small problems, it's easier for the creator to isolate the problem than anyone else.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: