Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 help with ports
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Token

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:53 pm   Post subject: help with ports

Hey, umm okay i made that multi client chat program that i was talking about and it works fine over the lan but not over the internet, how do i find a port that the firewall will let through? is there a specific one?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, each firewall or router can block and allow different ports, so it's best to ask the person, or tell them to enable a certain port for a certain program (as is the case for most multiplayer games now). You can always try using some default ports, like 80 (ftp), but I am not sure how it will work out.
Token

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats the one i had set 80, how would you enable or disable certian ports?

Edit
okay i figured it out...

type firewall.cpl into run and press enter
go to exceptions
add port...
fill in a name and a port and set it to tcp

the port is now open... annd still nothing, any ideas?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can't enable or disable ports on someone else's computer, that's called hacking. They have to set the ports.

If they are blocked on your computer, then you should make sure that your firewall and/or router are set to enable the port you are using.

Try enabling both tcp and udp.
Token

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats what we did, both of us enabled ports 80 (the port i use to dispatch the next open port), 81 (the port i connected on) and port 82 (the port my friend connected on), and still no luck... we'll try tcp and udb and get back to ya
Token

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yah no dice, any ideas?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How about some code?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't use Turing's network capabilities, so it's hard to tell you whats wrong (maybe it's the code?).

Just make sure that one of you don't have more than one firewall, or a router. You have to configure all of those, making sure the ports you are using are forwarded.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Token

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

okay, the 2 problems i'm having, is the firewall thing which i dont think has to do with the code, because it works through my lan which has the firewall up. and with the /draw command, wha i have is a sort of whiteboard, /draw turns it on /drawsend scans the surface of the whiteboard 250x250 for black pixels and sends the co-ordinates of these pixels, these are then drawn on the other people in the chat room's top right of their screen. but when sending when there are others in the room i get an unexpected net error... any ideas?

to run a server and join one on 1 pc, just make one or both a standalone.

client.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  client.t
 Filesize:  5.12 KB
 Downloaded:  139 Time(s)

Host.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Host.t
 Filesize:  1.58 KB
 Downloaded:  119 Time(s)

beard0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Didn't take too much of a look through your code, but you can take a look at mine if you like. This is a project thatI've worked on, on and off. I included the executables because I make use of a GUI developped originally by someone else, and extensively added to by myself, so you won't be able to run the .t's properly. I have had this working over the internet.

GUI Chat Program
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: