Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Turing for Linux?
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:06 pm   Post subject: Turing for Linux?

No, this isn't another thread discussing Turing under Wine... it just so happens that while perusing the Holt Site, I came accross this:
Holt Software Associates wrote:
Turing Platforms and System Requirements
Versions of Turing exist for the Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh and Linux platforms. The Turing language is identical between platforms and files are straight ASCII, enabling students to seamlessly transfer programs from home to school regardless of platform. (Note: There are some differences between the platforms with regards to advanced graphics usage and font availability.)
Turing's system requirements are a low as possible so that schools can utilize any available lab. Turing is designed to run either over a network or installed on individual machines.
Microsoft Windows Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP
16MB RAM
6 MB Hard Drive Space
Apple Macintosh System 7.1
16MB RAM
4 MB Hard Drive Space
Linux 16MB RAM
6 MB Hard Drive Space

Woah! Apparently Turing has a Linux port as well, and this information would have come in mighty handy a year ago... My Turing teacher was clearly unaware of this as when I informed him that I don't have Windows at home to run Turing, he basically told me "too bad" and I had to give it a partition, which tells me that the school purchases liscences for a particular platform, and Linux wasn't it at my school. I know you guys can't start giving me download links here, but my question is if anyone HAS tried out the Linux version and can tell me how to obtain it. Can the school specially order it? Any news? =/

Thanks in advance Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I think that the school needs to buy a special liscence for the other OSs, and most don't really do that since that means more money spent.

Also, maybe this was for older versions of Turing? Wasn't OOT previously called "Turing for Windows"? You probably need the old DOS-like Turing.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm... you think if I wrote to Holt and said, "Hey, I paid for a Turing liscence and it turns out it's Win32-only. Could you please be kind enough to provide me with a Linux copy?", they would be nice enough to comply? Anyone had previous dealings with Holt before? =/
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm, I don't know. They might require some "proof", which I doubt you could provide unless you bought it ($80?) or you have the school lisence.

Also, it seems like they aren't really doing much lately, they haven't updated the site in a long, long time. Still, it wouldn't hurt Smile.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hm, I'll have to give it a try, like you say Smile

But I'll wait until school starts. Wouldn't be very convincing otherwise, now would it? Wink

(Technically, I *did* pay for the liscence, but that was two years ago Confused )
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

according to HoltSoft website, the latest versions are:

Microsoft Windows Turing 4.0.3 (See note below)
Latest patch: 4.0.4d
Apple Macintosh OOT for Macintosh 1.5.1

Now for Macintosh.. which some schools actually have - they forgot to port the last 3 version releases (which makes all of them, but first). Go figure where Linux stands.

Also, if you try to order yourself the software..
HoltSoft website wrote:

Microsoft Windows : CD and the Object Oriented Turing Reference Manual
Requirements: Microsoft Windows 95 / 98 / Me / NT / 2000 / XP

Apple Macintosh : disk and the Object Oriented Turing Reference Manual
Requirements: 68020/30/40 or PPC Macintosh with 8MB RAM and System 7

What is that disk they speak of? Floppy? Thinking How much was that version stripped down to fit? WinOOT 4.0.5 installer is ~15 Mb... and... that hardware is non-existant. And one needs an emulator to run old OS9 software...

Anyways.. Find out if they even have a copy of anything but Windows (for which they are lagging with releasing updates as it is)
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:

(Technically, I *did* pay for the liscence, but that was two years ago Confused )

Turing is for life, if you have a version then you keep it you don't have to buy new updates, you just download them.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: