Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Might be making a game soon, need some help.
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Matt_872000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:02 pm   Post subject: Might be making a game soon, need some help.

Has anyone ever heard of the 8-bit nintendo game "Elevator Action"? It was a really fun game where you entered a building from the roof and had to make your way to the bottom floor to your escape vehicle while dodging men in black suits, all the while using many different elevators and stairs to get to the bottom. I would like to program a game similair to it except with simultaneous 2 player action. The problem is I have no idea how I would do: random levels, AI, elevator control, etc. If someone would be willing to help me out with problem solving and coding, I think we could make a really awesome game.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds like fun. The thing is, this is a very general question. For that, I give you a very general answer. Specifically, look up collision detection, procedures and functions, and input (Input.KeyDown). Maybe you'd want to learn to use files as well, because random levels wouldn't be all that good. You'd probably want to prearrange your levels. For that, you can use a file that has 0's and 1's and 2's etc. that symbolize different things (such as elevators, empty space, walls, and black men in suits that kill you. Smile

If you want more descriptive help, ask a more detailed question. Post some code, or some ideas as to how your going to code some part of your program. Let us know where you're heading and what your thought process is.
Bored

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For the AI simply have them see what direction your in and move them in that direction.
For two Player look up use of canvases but I couldn't find a tutorial on the subject so use the turing help. Basically a canvas is like splitting the scrren up into smaller section to draw on. You just need to import GUI and use the GUI.Draw commands instead of the regular draw commands as GUI commands work with canvases
I've never seen the game but you could have the elvators just go up and when they hit the top stop for so long then travel down and stop at bottom
code:
var edelay, height, direction : int := 0
loop
    if (height <= 0 or height >= 20) and edelay <= 10 then
        edelay := edelay + 1
    elsif edelay > 10 then
        edelay := 0
        direction := 1 - direction
        if direction = 0 then
             height := height - 1
        elsif direction = 1 then
             height  := height + 1
        end if
    elsif direction = 0 then
        height := height - 1
    elsif direction = 1 then
        height  := height + 1
    end if
    cls
    put height
    delay (250)
end loop
Matt_872000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Haha, the reason I was asking the general question was merely because i guess this is more of recruitment than an individual problem... lol
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: