Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Need help w/ organizing my program...
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
marsbarz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:33 am   Post subject: Need help w/ organizing my program...

Hey guys, compsci class is over and I handed an pre-pre-pre alpha version of my rpg to my teacher, just for the sake of marks. Now this thing has become a labour of love so I want to spend time polishing it. In fact I might create a website for it later to track my progress, who knows.

Right now, though, I'm encountering a problem!

I'm trying to organize my program and split the one long, long file I have that contains all the code into a neater and more efficient group of files that run more closely related procedures.

How do I declare variables that don't have to be re-declared for every single module I include into my primary code file?

I am actually really confused as to what I really am trying to ask, so if you need any other details just ask; thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
vagyb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

what u need are arrays and procedures. Type those in the turing help and u'll understand. here is an example of a procedure.

for example if before using a procedure ur program looks like this

code:

var a : int
var b : int
put "hello type a number for a " ..
get a
put "hello type a number for b " ..
get b
if a > b then
    put "a is bigger than b"
else
    put "b is bigger than a"
end if

but with procedures u can make this into
code:

var a : int
var b : int
proc question
    put "hello type a number for a " ..
    get a
    put "hello type a number for b " ..
    get b
end question

proc calculations
    if a > b then
        put "a is bigger than b"
    else
        put "b is bigger than a"
    end if
end calculations

question
calculations

you can see that the program is much neater, each portion of it is a small procedure that u call in a certain order at the bottom (question, calculations)
Delos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

What you're going to want to look into is parameter passing between procedures. For example, instead of having a declaration like "procedure levelUp", have something like "proc levelUp (heroName: string, points : int)" etc etc.
Also, you may not know this off-hand, but variables can be exported from within a module. It's definitely not recommended - you're better off creating and exporting a fcn/proc to do this for you.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you REALLY REALLY want to organize everything, the best would be write everything in Classes (or Modules), and then save all your classes as a separate file and include it in the beginning.

Since you handed it in already, then I assume you are doing this purely out of your own will, in that case, why not learn how to do a little bit of Object Oriented Programming at the same time?

We have adequate tutorials in for both classes and Modules, and even one on OOP, check it out.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: