Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 (more) RPG Help required
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
marsbarz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:12 am   Post subject: (more) RPG Help required

Hey guys...!

I am working on creating a simple role-playing game in the likes of the oldschool final fantasy games- top down view, 2D style graphics.

So far I managed to create the menus (with the exception of loadgame which I plan to implement once I actually have game information to save). I've included what I've made so far in a zip file attachment, it's pretty fun just to mess around with the menus even though the game isn't there to play, lol.

Now I've gotten to the meat of the program and I'm not quite sure what to do.. you see, everything works up until the user presses "Start" to begin a new game...

I want to draw the world and have the user be able to walk around and have it so that the user can't walk into things like trees or walls, but that's not really what I need help with.

I'm wondering what's the best way to go about creating the maps for the user to walk around on, and so far I thought up of 3 different methods to do this:

- make datafiles that have numbers which act as the tiles which are drawn to the screen, and certain numbers create tiles which the user cannot walk into

- draw the blocks individually and do the collision data thing for every tile i require it to be done for

- set up the blocks, take a screenshot, and add in the collision data in my program

So far I think the first idea is the best idea, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something... I also picked up Bacchus' BSprite.tu file and I'm eager to use that in the game.

I read of an RPG map maker but never came across the actual map maker in my searches... I thought that the map maker was a program made for people who want to create 2d maps for their turing rpg games?

Anyhow... please discuss my game. The source code is in the attachment.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Shyfire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

k first of all wheres the file
second check the applications section of compsci theree are like 12 map makers there??
good luck hope to see the files cause then i can help you more <(^_^)>
marsbarz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Where's the file? I dont think I understand what you mean.. I included everything I made up until that point as an attachment.

By the way I updated some things, pressing START after you distribute your stat points brings up the interface bar for the main game which I haven't completely implemented yet and pops up the inventory screen which also isn't functional yet.

If by 'where's the file' you meant where is the map that I am going to put into the game, then I haven't made it yet. I'm still wondering how I'm going to do it.

If for some reason the attachment isn't working, you can grab the file off of this address:
http://exl.nrgservers.net/barzin/MTRPG.zip

im gonna go and actually search for those map makers now.. Razz
Shyfire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

k thanks for the files the link wasn't working
but i have them now!!!!!!!!
Legolas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would advise using your first suggestion, it is probably the most effective way to create the RPG world. If you post the pictures i will try to give some advice and maybe put a few things together for you to see.

LeGoLaS
marsbarz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I just started doing that now, I'm gonna set up little grids and such... given that I'm no artist I had to rip all these off from somewhere else on the internet sadly, but as long as it operates smoothly in the game I'll be cool with it, I guess I could change them later too.

Here's the first grid (of 3 grids) of the tiles I have at my disposal, the code is read letter first then the number, e.g. B7, C12, G1..

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
vagyb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

easiest way would be draw maps in paint, import them to turing, do simple whatdotcolor
marsbarz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well I ended up doing the maps by using that numbering system. Given my newbiness I wasn't aware that whatdotcolour could be used for this until you mentioned it to me vagyb but by that time I'd already set up most of the system for mapping using tiles. Although I have to say it did turn out better, I'm not limited to colours as collision blocks and I can layer images now (for example a tree's stump will block the player but the player can move through the branches above it).

I have to figure out how, if at all possible, to draw a sprite underneat the visible part of the tree top tile.

I've uploaded an updated version with the same old link.
For those who don't feel like scrolling up: http://exl.nrgservers.net/barzin/MTRPG.zip

I have to admit if I knew about mutlidimensional arrays it would probably save me some lines of code when drawing my maps as I have so far.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
c0bra54

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i'ma take a look at this, but i was wondering, does nyone know where i can get a decent amount of free webspace.. i need atleast 50 megs.. my final proj is kindabig, and i awnted to show everyone on compsci when it is done..

nyone?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Set up an ftp server on your computer.

You can look up frozencore on these forums too, use the search button.

*EDIT* WOW! That is one dang sweet start of an rpg!! I truly can't wait till it's done! I wouldn't say that you are a 'newb' Smile.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: