Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Rearranging numbers
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Jina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:04 pm   Post subject: Rearranging numbers

hi,
I have a problem in this program. The program is supposed to randomly generate 10 numbers from 0 to 9 only once . The output should not be duplicate numbers. After that, the user has to select any number from 1 to 10 so that he/she will start reversing the order until the order is in numerical form that is : 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
then the program will count how many numbers they inputted and we have to use counter to show the user how many numbers they inputted.
I really need help. I cannot use functions and boolean as this is a class assignment. I can only use single-dimensional arrays.

here's my program. I need an answer tomorrow. This is a long way and this program duplicates numbers even with all the statements. Also, I do need help on how to reverse the numbers so that they come to the right order. Then the program has to exit and show the number of times a user enters a number.
This is an unfinished prog.
var number,finish, fin2, fin3, fin4,fin5,fin6,fin7 :int
var count : array 1..10 of int
randomize
for i : 1..10
loop
randint (count(1),0,9)
finish := count(1)
randint (count (2),0,9)
if count (2) = finish then
randint (count (2),0,9)
exit when count (2) not = finish
end if
fin2 := count (2)
randint (count(3),0,9)
if count(3) = finish and count(3) = fin2 then
randint (count (3),0,9)
exit when count (3) not = finish and count (3) not= fin2
end if
fin3 := count (3)
randint (count(4),0,9)
if count (4) = finish and count (4) = fin2 and count (4)= fin3 then
randint (count (4),0,9)
exit when count (4) not = finish and count (4) not= fin2 and count(4) not = fin3
end if
fin4 := count (4)
randint (count(5),0,9)
if count(5)=finish and count(5)=fin2 and count(5)= fin3 and count (5) = fin4 then
randint (count (5),0,9)
exit when count(5) not = finish and count (5) not= fin2 and count(5) not = fin3 and count(5) not = fin4
end if
fin5 := count (5)
randint (count(6),0,9)
if count(6) = finish and count(6)=fin2 and count(6)= fin3 and count(6) = fin4 and count(6) = fin5 then
randint (count (6),0,9)
exit when count(6) not = finish and count (6) not= fin2 and count(6) not = fin3 and count(6) not = fin4 and count (6)not = fin5
end if
fin6 := count (6)
end loop
end for

put finish :5..
put fin2:5..
put fin3:5..
put fin4:5..
put fin5 :5..
put fin6 :5..
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

To do away with if statements in your random number array:

Simply assign your array from 0-9 the normal way
code:

for i : 0 .. 9
    X (i) := i
end for

And then do a shuffle (that is, randomly switch the numbers)

code:

for i : 0 .. 9
    rand1 := Rand.Int (0, 9)
    rand2 := Rand.Int (0, 9)
    temp := X (rand1)
    X (rand1) := X (rand2)
    X (rand2) := temp
end for

As for the second part, I'm not sure I follow. You want the user to select numbers in the array by their location, so that they go in order. For example, if element 6 in the array was 1, and element 9 was 2, the user would select 6 then 9. Sort of like a counting program for young students.
?
If that's not it I'm afraid you'll have to explain more.[/code]
Delos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hello. Please use [code] or [syntax] tags in the future when posting your code.

As for your question:
- follow lyam_kaskade's advice for generating random numbers, but you might want to use Rand.Int() instead, since it's more efficient.
To expidite your check to see if numbers have been used or not, you could use a boolean array the size of your range of numbers. So if you had 10 numbers to distribute (0-9), then you'd have an array with 10 elements. You would initialize them all to 'true', and teach time an element is distributed, set it to 'false'. You can then cross reference it to make sure that the number is still available to be distributed or not.
Check the Tutorials if you're not sure how to use Arrays.

- as for switching numbers, you can think about this in terms of 3 variables.

Let's say we have 3 buckets of paint. Bucket A has blue paint, bucket B has red paint, bucket C is empty.
You want to switch the contents of A and B, but you don't want to end up with purple paint.
So, you pour A into C, then B into A, and finally C into B.
Now you have A with Red, B with Blue, and C empty.

This is the same idea with switching numbers. The use selects a number to switch, and you switch them using a temporary variable as a stop-over.
Jina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:41 pm   Post subject: rearranging numbers

thanks for the help

but i cannot use functions or boolean

as for the program, it has to display 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 in random order.
After that , the user selects a number from 1 to 10 for that many nos. to be reversed.
eg- random order 6,5,3,2,1,7,8,0,9
user inputs 4
order becomes 2,3,5,6,1,7,8,0,9
user has to keep inputting till the order becomes 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
then program has to count how many times it entered a number to get the series in order

Cannot use functions like Rand.Int and boolean
can use counter and array of int and string

please send me a reply.
Delos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

When you say you 'cannot use functions', I'm supposing you mean that your teacher has explicitely instructed you not to use anything like that? Or are you just using an older version of Turing?

Anyway, 'booleans' are just types, so you shouldn't have any restrictions on those. If you do, you could just as easily use an array of integers - 0 being 'off' and 1 being 'on'. If you're not allowed arrays either, then a series of such variables would have to replace them.

This entire programme should be done with arrays - you assign your values to the various elements. Then you would use the 3-bucket method to switch elements as the user enters positions (so, if they saw {3, 2, 5, 4, 1} and entered '5', they'd be selecting to move element 5 which is {1}). Again, if you're not allowed to use arrays, then you would just end up making a seperate variable for each would-be element.
Don't forget that after each swap is entered by the User, to do a check to see whether or not the array (or vars) are ordered. In this case, it can be done very easily by using a for loop, and comparing the value of each element to the for loop counter.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: